Industry

Back

Inaugural night meeting at the Gold Coast Turf Club has been withdrawn

The inaugural night meeting at the Gold Coast Turf Club has been withdrawn following an independent track assessment with the $1 million Magic Millions 2YO National Classic to be transferred to XXXX Doomben Cup Day.

Racing Queensland and the GCTC have also announced that the scheduled night meeting for Friday, May 24 would not proceed, providing the course proper further time to consolidate before a return to full-time racing in the coming months.

With six black-type races including the Group 1 XXXX Doomben Cup already programmed for the following day, the new Magic Millions 2YO National Classic will be added to a bumper card that will now offer more than $3.5 million in stakes.

“As an industry, we were looking forward to hosting the inaugural night meeting at the Gold Coast during the Magic Millions National Sales,” RQ CEO Jason Scott said.

“While the light towers have now been commissioned, the course proper still needs further time to consolidate following the drainage works and sand grooving that was conducted earlier this year. We’ve been unrepentant in our view that we must take a conservative approach to the course proper following the rebuild.

“We’re grateful for the Brisbane Racing Club being able to accommodate the 2YO National Classic at short notice.”

Having conducted planned drainage works and sand grooving immediately following The Star Gold Coast Magic Millions in January, significant rain and humidity has impacted the return to racing at Aquis Park, with stakeholders committed to undertaking a cautious maintenance programme.

RQ will transfer all up-coming meetings on the GCTC course proper to the Polytrack through until Saturday, July 20 ahead of a likely return prior to Spring.

GCTC CEO Steve Lines said the decision was about the best interest of the course proper for the future.

"Given the significant investment that has been made on the course proper redevelopment, we need to give it every chance to recover and will continue to do what is best for it in the long term," Lines said.

“The decision was made following further course proper gallops and testing of the lights at Aquis Park this week, with an independent assessment determining the track needs more time to recover from the planned works conducted after The Star Gold Coast Magic Millions in January.

"An announcement on when the first night meeting will be staged will be determined by the progress of the track."
Share/Bookmark