International

Back

Fontwell and Ffos Las to inspect for Tuesday's meetings due to threat of heavy rain

Morning inspections have been called for Tuesday's meetings at Fontwell and Ffos Las with concerns over the amount of rain forecast overnight.

The courses were described as raceable on Monday, but officials have scheduled inspections at 7.30am as they wait to see how much more rain they get after the large amounts over the weekend.

Fontwell's clerk of the course Philip Hide said: "There are some forecasts for localised thunder and heavy rain, some of them bringing lumpy totals, coming through late this evening and through tomorrow."

The ground was described as heavy on the chase course and heavy, soft in places on the hurdle track on Monday and it is forecast to be dry up until the evening. The course was hit by 25mm of rain from Friday through to Sunday morning. 

"The rain passed through by midday yesterday and from then onwards it was a fairly drying period for this time of the year and we're due to be dry and breezy with some sunny spells today," said Hide. 

"There's a lot in our favour as we've missed our last two fixtures and the ground is in very decent shape. With the new canter down and extending where they come off the track, it has helped a hell of a lot as there are no worn areas out there."

It is a similar situation at Ffos Las, where the ground is described as soft following nearly 30mm of rain over the weekend.

Clerk of the course Dai Jones said: "We've got variable forecasts with some saying we're due some further heavy showers between 10pm and 2am and then early morning up until race time.

"With some of the forecasts we should be okay, but if we get much more than forecast it's reasonable to monitor it in the morning.

"The ground dried out really well overnight, so we're back to soft and perfectly raceable today with lovely ground, and it's dry and sunny today. We're starting from a good base."

Jumps meetings were scheduled to take place at Ayr and Lingfield on Monday following the cancellation of Sunday's fixture at Huntingdon and Kelso.

Kelso had been due to stage the Scottish Borders National and managing director Jonathan Garratt confirmed the race would not be restaged. It is the third time since 2010 the 4m½f contest has been lost.

Share/Bookmark