KOREA: Busan Racecourse – Friday July 5, 2019
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Eight previously unraced juveniles make their racecourse debuts here. Catching the eye in the pedigree stakes is (7) TOP DAY. He’s the second foal out of 2013 Korean Derby winning filly Speedy First to make the track and the other one, Friday, is a winner of three from seven. Top Day trialed the fastest of these, albeit on a muddy track and is with top trainer Kim Young-kwan, so all signs point to him being a strong favourite. (4) YEONGSEONG BRAVO offered some hints of ability when further back in the same trial on June 8th and looks one of the most likely to challenge here. (5) MARK ONE and (8) YEONGWON DYNAMO are others who showed promise in their respective heats and could go well.
|Selections||(7) Top Day (5) Mark One (8) Yeongwon Dynamo (4) Yeongseong Bravo|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) HIDDEN BOY has made steady progress across five starts so far, culminating in 2nd place over this distance on June 7th with a couple of his rivals here back down the track behind him. Lim Sung-sil partners him for the third time and today could be breakthrough day. (6) GRAND JILJU was sent up to a mile in late May and struggled to the extent that he was forced back to trial. He looked sharp when winning his heat in mid-June and back at 1300M today, he should be a different prospect. (4) WILD GUY improved considerably last start and can continue to make progress today. (3) ACRA and (9) BORYEONG HWANHO, the latter possibly appreciating the step up in trip, others to look out for.
|Selections||(5) Hidden Boy (6) Grand Jilju (3) Acra (4) Wild Guy|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(4) STOLEN BEAUTY ran 3rd ahead of a couple of these over 1000M on June 14th. Bart Rice’s filly has looked to have been figuring things out in her last couple of starts and she steps up in distance for the first time today with a good chance of going very close, likely looking to lead all the way. (8) ZET KING was a slightly disappointing 4th when favourite over this distance three weeks ago. He previously has a 2nd place at this trip, albeit in muddy conditions, and can be given another chance on him here – Lee Hyo-sik, who rode him in his best finish to date, returns to the ride. (7) WONDERFUL SUPAH has shown some aptitude for this trip and can be in the palcing hunt while (10) RINGING FLYING has come home in 4th place in four of her last five outings – she could very well finish in the same position today.
|Selections||(4) Stolen Beauty (8) Zet King (7) Wonderful Supah (10) Ringing Flying|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 10|
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) AMOR FATI ran on very nicely indeed on debut over 1300M. Well back early, he ended up in 2nd place and the step up to a mile today looks set to suit. That’s true too for (4) DONGBANG NARAE, who finished off well for 2nd last start over 1300M and also stretches out in trip today for the first time. Both those will look to come from off the pace while the likely early leader is (5) ETERNAL TRON, whose best performance so far by some margin came at this distance in early May. It’s hard to see anything challenging him for the early lead so the only question is how well he stays on. (2) SUPER GREAT also ran creditably on his first attempt at the mile last start and can build on the 5th place he managed. (8) SILVER BEST is another trying the distance for the first time and who could slide into some minor money.
|Selections||(1) Amor Fati (4) Dongbang Narae (5) Eternal Tron (2) Super Great|
|Next Best||8, 6|
Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(10) TRUE VALOR won three in a row in fine fashion between March and May enabling him to take his chance in the Minister’s Cup, the final leg of the Triple Crown, at Seoul three weeks ago. He was 7th over the 2000M that day, but back in trip here and back in more amenable company, he’s the one to beat. The main danger is (2) POWER AMAZING. He is yet to win at this class but comes in following a decent 2nd over this distance last time out and is well drawn to get to his preferred position at the head of the pack. (3) WHITE POINT finished 2nd behind True Valor over 1800M on May 3rd at lengthy odds and while inconsistent, could be a threat again today. (5) VEGA KHAN and the up in class last start winner (7) TEXAS SIDAE are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(10) True Valor (2) Power Amazing (7) Texas Sidae (3) White Point|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) WONDERFUL TALE returned from seven months out to win well over 1000M on May 31st. She’s up in class and in distance here but neither should be too much of a concern and she can win again, likely trying to lead all the way. She’ll be joined on the early speed by (8) NEOLBEUN GOEUL, who similarly returned from a lengthy spell out to record his maiden win four weeks ago and comes up in both class and trip today with potential for more. (10) FINE TRUMPET was sent back to trial after being very reluctant to go to the barrier when a hot favourite over 1300M three weeks ago. He won the resulting heat and can be given another chance here. So too can (11) SUCHEOJAKJU, who was scarcely involved over 1000M two weeks ago but is better than that and can aim for the places here. (1) PERFECT ACE is another up in class following a maiden win on his latest start. Today’s assignment is considerably stiffer but he can be competitive.
|Selections||(9) Wonderful Tale (10) Fine Trumpet (8) Neolbeun Goeul (1) Perfect Ace|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 10|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) ULTRA POWER comes in having made all to win by five-lengths at this distance on June 2nd. He’s up in class today but is accordingly very nicely weighted and with Seo Seung-un aboard again, can win again. (5) CHEONNYEONUIJILJU ran 5th behind unexpected winner (9) MYEONGSIN POWER on June 2nd. Thomas Gillespie’s colt is yet to win in nine attempts but has run 2nd on no fewer than five occasions and should be in at least the placing hunt again. (4) CEEYOUDOWNTHETRACK began his career very promisingly and while he seemed to have a bit of a wobble in March and April, he showed signs of returning to form with a 4th place last start and should figure here. (7) SUPER GOLD made a promising return from a lengthy absence at the end of May and is another who can go close. There is one debut-maker and with (1) SYDNEY MANGCHI being trained by Kim Young-kwan and having done nothing wrong in his trial, he has every chance of going well first-up. Watch the market for additional clues about him.
|Selections||(2) Ultra Power (4) Ceeyoudownthetrack (5) Cheonnyeonuijilju (1) Sydney Mangchi|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8|
Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(3) TOHAM ACE comes in here having won his latest three in an extremely pleasing manner. That’s sent him up to class 3 for the first time here and he’s also asked to stretch out to the 1800M for the first time. Both should be within his capability though and he looks the one to beat. It took (6) FIRST VICTORY a little while to figure things out but he’s won three of his seven to make it up to this class today. Crucially, he has experience of winning at this distance too and he’s a danger here. (1) FRIDAY has just gone off the boil a little in his latest two but returns after six weeks off and can be given another chance. (5) ALPHA RUNNER and (8) STORM GOLD are others whose respective latest appearances don’t reflect their true ability and they may go better here.
|Selections||(3) Toham Ace (6) First Victory (1) Friday (8) Storm Gold|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 8|
Race 9: Class 2 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(10) A PURE GOOD MAN beat four of these on his way to a two-length win over 1400M on May 19th. He carries an additional 3.5kg today but he’s won over this distance under similar in the past and he looks the one to beat again. (1) YES PERFECT is a winner of three from seven so far and comes on off a close 3rd place, less than a length behind the winner, in a similar race to this on June 9th. He was on pace for much of that race and should be again here with solid claims of going close. (2) CHERRY VANQUISH was an also-ran in the Ttukseom Cup over 1400M at Seoul last month but was a good class 3 winner prior to that. She tries the mile for the first time and is under a nice light weight. (12) MAKING SEUNGNI and (5) THUNDER FLY finished 4th and 5th behind A Pure Good Man last time out with just a nose separating them. Both should be competing for the places today.
|Selections||(10) A Pure Good Man (2) Cherry Vanquish (1) Yes Perfect (5) Thunder Fly|
|Next Best||12, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 10|