Sunday May 16, 2021
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maidens to kick things off. (12) TAP QUALITY has been consistent and this class and perhaps deserves a slight change of luck. He comes into this race off the back of a good 3rd over 1300M where he was wide early and worked hard to be on the pace. The draw is a little irritating again but he should have too much for this set of rivals. (1) ADVANCE made a bit of a breakthrough last start with a significantly improved 2nd place over 1000M. A repeat of that run where she led early before sitting off the pace and battling on well will put her in the mix here. (11) VICEROY ran an improved race last start. This field is no stronger and it would be no surprise were he to place. (10) BANGTAN YEOGEOL can have her last start disregarded on a wet track and also having received a few bumps early on. She knows how to make up ground late on. Solitary debut-maker (7) K N PARK trialed adequately and gets a nice soft introduction to racing here with chances of making some minor money.
|Selections||(12) Tap Quality (1) Advance (11) Viceroy (10) Bangtan Yeogeol|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(10) DREAM PELLA is the only one whose form includes a win, and a repeat must be considered here. He ran okay last start when settled in a handy position and has recorded some good times along the way. He’ll be aiming to lead early again and is the one to beat. (4) THE FIGHTING can perhaps have a line drawn through his latest when he was wide all the way. Instead, we’ll go on the useful 4th at this distance. He gets a better draw today and can be competitive. So too can (8) WONDERFUL MAMBO. She has to be considered on the strength of her 4th last start when on pace and ran on well. The apprentice claims surely brings her firmly into this. There are two debut makers and of them (12) LUCKY THUNDER looks best place for an immediate impact. Having been all over the place when originally trialing in mid-April, he had another go at the end of the month and was much more assured finishing 2nd in his heat in a fast time. If he brings that form to the races, he can go close. (6) NAUI SINHWA the best of the rest.
|Selections||(10) Dream Pella (4) The Fighting (8) Wonderful Mambo (12) Lucky Thunder|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(9) SINUI ADEUL was a last start winner at class and distance in a time considerably quicker than any of the others here have managed at the distance, albeit on a wet track. He can settle close to the pace again and is likely to be too strong for this field. (4) K BLADE is an improving filly having finished in the money at her latest two starts. She put in a good showing from a wide draw last time out and the better barrier today surely helps her chances. (8) MASEONG CHEONHA took a bump early last time but ran on well enough for a midfield finish. He had previously run well on debut for 3rd and can enter today’s calculations. (12) ILGYEOK PILSAL similarly saw his best result so far come on debut and while he hasn’t managed to yet match or better that 2nd place, he has hinted at ability and looks a potential place line here.
|Selections||(9) Sinui Adeul (4) K Blade (8) Maseong Cheonha (12) Ilgyeok Pilsal|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here. (7) NAMED showed plenty of potential in two outings last summer running 5th and 2nd both at 1000M. She hasn’t raced since August, but the Bart Rice trainee looked very well when completing a trial in April and couldn’t really hope for a more amenable race to return in and will probably be a hot favourite. That’s because nothing else has much in the way of convincing form. (1) FIRST CHOICE hasn’t run badly in three starts to date and should be improving here while similarly (6) GEUMA STARLET has run on well enough in both her two outings and can be aiming for more today. (12) CHOEGANG ILSE has a 4th place to her name and while she has been caught back a few times, has shown the ability to run on strong. (9) MYEONGSEONG MAGIC also ran 4th on debut and while her two efforts since have been underwhelming, the opposition is significantly softer today.
|Selections||(7) Named (6) Geuma Starlet (1) First Choice (9) Myeongseong Magic|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only. (4) GOLDEN BADGE gets the chance to overturn some form here as she was 4th time out on April 11th with two of her rivals today ahead of her. Today should be her day though. Her form is solid and the slight drop to 1300M can benefit. She was wide all the way last time and a much better draw today should help. (10) CHEONGDAM TANK ran 2nd in that race and then followed up with a 4th place at today’s distance just two weeks ago. “Full” sister to the 2018 Korean Derby winner Ecton Blade, she surely has a win in her at some point. (13) JILPUNG BAEKGWANG was 3rd in the April 11th race which was her best start to date, and she looks to have placing claims again. Among those who didn’t run in that race, (9) ELITE POWER comes up in trip after a strong 2nd over 1200M a month ago and should be in the frame while (8) AMAZING QUEEN may benefit from the slight drop back in trip.
|Selections||(4) Golden Badge (10) Cheongdam Tank (9) Elite Power (13) Jilpung Baekgwang|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11, 14|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(12) SUCCESS MACHO ran out an easy winner on debut over 1200M on April 10th running on pace in the early stages before pulling clear in the home straight. He is up slightly in trip and draws a bit wider, but neither should be an issue and he looks hard to beat here. (5) ACE GUY and (2) DOCTOR FAITH came home 2nd and 3rd respectively when they race each other at class and distance on April 18th. Ace Guy has steadily improved across three starts while Doctor Faith has been consistent across four and the pair look the most likely to cause an upset should the favourite not run well. (9) CHEONGHO LEADER ran a solid 5th on debut over 1200M beating a couple of these in the process and can build on that here. (1) A ONE PLUS has been knocking on the door of the places in all but one of her outings so far and is another place line here.
|Selections||(12) Success Macho (5) Ace Guy (2) Doctor Faith (9) Cheongho Leader|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Fillies and mares only. Several of these raced against each other over 1300M at this class on April 11th. (14) ROYAL GHOST emerged the best of them, finishing in 2nd place, an uptick in recent form. She could go one better today but will have to contend with an unfavourable draw here. That day’s favorite and 3rd placegetter is likely to be favourite again. That’s (11) CHEONGDAM WICKED. Her only win so far came in a super time over the 1000M but the manner in which she has been finishing off suggests that the step up to 1400M will be to her benefit and she can reverse the form today. (1) LUCKY SMILE was 4th in that race, continuing a run of very consistent form and with the apprentice keeping the weight down, she can be a money contender again. (4) ROAD ROSE is up in class after a good win at this distance having made all. The excellent draw brings her into it again today. (13) YULONG STAR is another up in class with the potential to improve in what is a very competitive race.
|Selections||(11) Cheongdam Wicked (4) Road Rose (14) Royal Ghost (13) Yulong Star|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 11, 13, 14|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
One of the trickier races of the day. (4) YEONGGWANGUI SPEED has been a model of consistency across five starts to date, finishing outside the top four on only one occasion. He made up good ground for 4th place over this distance last start and while despite his name, speed has tended to be the thing he lacks, a good solid run here might be enough to see him home on top. (2) RAPIDO QUEEN comes in off a much-improved 2nd place over 1200M at the end of March. She looked much better for the time off and that run will probably be enough to send her off the betting favourite here. (7) JEMA FORTUNE has shown his best form at this distance with a runner-up finish three starts back and then beating a couple of these on his way to 4th a month ago and he will surely be in the mix again. (1) CONSTATINE and (8) JAMAICA POWER others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(4) Yeonggwangui Speed (2) Rapido Queen (7) Jema Fortune (8) Jamaica Power|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(9) HEUNG DREAM is set to be a warm favourite here. He ran 4th on his first try at this level over 1400M last start beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process. He should be better suited back at 1200M which he has won over and will probably be kept handy in the early stages before being too strong in the straight. (10) WONDERFUL STORM was well back in that 1400M race but just like Heung Dream should be better off dropped back in trip today and looks set for improvement. (4) RAON FASHION took his chance up in class 3 last time out when he worked hard early to lead then faded in the straight. There should be less pressure in this race and with the apprentice claim keeping the weight down he’ll be right in this. (1) RAIN K and (6) GYORYONGDEUKSU are others in the placing frame at least.
|Selections||(9) Heung Dream (10) Wonderful Storm (4) Raon Fashion (6) Gyoryongdeuksu|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 4: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(10) SONIC KING IJI has mixed his form a little but comes in off a good 2nd place to Golden Winner last start at class and distance, beating three of these in the process. He looks on an upward trajectory and today could be his day. (2) YONGYEON was a winner at this distance two starts back in a fast time. While he is 4kg worse off today and was 4th on his latest start at 1200M, he has plenty of speed about him and is worthy of consideration. So too is (3) ILNYEOM TONGCHEON. She’s run in some very fast times both at 1200M and at this distance and under a top jockey and a very light weight, she enters the calculations. (7) AKER’S DREAM ran 4th behind Sonic King Iji last time. He is a winner of three from seven so far and is likely to be on pace from the start. (12) MIGHTY POWER was 2nd at class and distance in a fast time on a dry track last start. She came from well off the pace which suggests the wide draw in no problem and the experienced five-year-old could make another money finish here.
|Selections||(10) Sonic King Iji (7) Aker’s Dream (3) Ilnyeom Tongcheon (2) Yongyeon|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(6) MORNING HILL is two for two and steps up in trip after big margin victories at 1000M and 1200M. Going up to 1300M is perhaps a slight query but he should be on pace and hard to beat. (3) PERFECT POWER has placed twice at this class and comes in having run a fast 2nd at today’s distance on April 18th. He draws well today and has every chance of being in the finish. (10) THANK YOU DAECHEON has run solidly in two starts at this class, both over 1400M. He generally settles in midfield and runs on strong and looks at least a place line here. (1) JOY BROTHER was a class and distance winner two starts back when on the pace. From the inside barrier expect similar tactics today and he gets a 2kg claim to help his cause. A forward showing would not surprise. Up in class following a good win over 1200M, (9) HAECHAN is another with chances.
|Selections||(6) Morning Hill (3) Perfect Power (1) Joy Brother (10) Thank You Daecheon|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 9, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(7) HANEUL ULLIM is going to be a hot favourite here. He comes in seeking a hat-trick of victories following an exceptionally fast score over 1200M in March, which was followed up with another emphatic win at a mile on April 3rd. He generally settles midfield before quickly improving and while he is up 2kg in the weights today, he should be winning again. (6) TOP FIRE has gone faster at this distance and comes in following a solid 3rd place last start. He doesn’t win out of turn but can be dangerous here. So too can (1) DOCTOR SKY who will probably welcome the slight drop back in trip and has Perovic climbing aboard. The recent form of the rest is patchy at best with (4) WAKANDA and (9) TIME SPEC perhaps the best candidates for improvement.
|Selections||(7) Haneul Ullim (1) Doctor Sky (6) Top Fire (9) Time Spec|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(8) GOLDEN SERVICE was a last start winner at this class over 1800M with some of his rivals today back down the track behind him. He is up in weight today but is so consistent that he has to be the one they need to beat. (6) EUNEO CHUKJE was 4th to Golden Service last time and meets him at better weights today. He raced handy last time and expect similar here. (10) JEONGMUN ACE likes a bit of distance and is versatile in that he has placed running midfield or settling handy near the lead. He is worth some thought. (3) HIDDEN SOCKS is yet to win but is placed up to a mile. He was wide last start before running on late and the draw will help him here. It’s been a long time since (11) ARFONS attempted two turns and it didn’t go well. He was a decent 3rd over 1200M first-up in March and is the wildcard here.
|Selections||(8) Golden Service (6) Euneo Chukje (10) Jeongmun Ace (3) Hidden Socks|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Small field of nine for Busan’s two-turn feature. It could be the kind of race in which (5) GREAT KING returns to the winner’s circle in. The seven-year-old continues to be very competitive with the only downside being that he again has to carry a lot of weight, but he will be there or thereabouts. Two of these have finished ahead of Great King in recent starts. They are (3) SMART PRINCE and (6) NEW YORK MANGCHI who finished 3rd and 4th to Great King’s 5th at this distance on March 20th. Smart Prince has since put in a somewhat disappointing showing while New York Mangchi returns for the first time. Both should be competitive with New York Mancgchi favoured to overturn that form. Great King’s stablemate (8) ALPHAKING IJI is up in class after a nice win at 1800M at the end of March and the light weight brings him into the calculations here. (9) PASHA too gets in very light and looks a place line.
|Selections||(5) Great King (6) New York Mangchi (8) Alphaking Iji (9) Pasha|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(4) SURISURIMA is a mare who is in good form having places at her last start and won the time before that, both over 1400M. She was tried at 1800M as a three-year-old and should be a better proposition now. Her style of running is midfield or even further back and running on indicating that this should suit. (6) LOOKING GOOD has won at this class and distance on a wet track, which is what he is likely to encounter today. He never really got going first up after eight months out in April but should be better for the run. (8) DORAON POPEYE has been placed in three out of four distance race starts and shouldn’t be left out while (3) MUNHAK KING ran a good 3rd last start which was his first over 1800M. The clear winner is a good prospect, and he was less than a length behind the runner-up. He has a good barrier here and may well strip fitter. (9) AUCKLAND SOCKS is the wildcard having got his maiden win at start number five over 1200M on April 3rd. All his form so far is at sprint distances and so is his pedigree, but we’ll see what he can do. One would expect him to be crossing the field early to lead.
|Selections||(4) Surisurima (6) Looking Good (8) Doraon Popeye (3) Munhak King|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) EAST JET is one of Korea’s top sprinters having won three of his latest four starts and only going to Eoma Eoma last time out. The weight here though means he won’t necessarily get it all his own way. Expect him to be on the pace and hopefully not too wide before balancing up for the run when he can make his quality count. (14) M J POWER showed a pleasing return to form with a good 3rd behind Eoma Eoma and East Jet on March 28th. He meets East Jet again on better terms and with his style being to settle in midfield, the barrier may suit him. (2) COMPLETE SWEEP may have found the pace a little too hot last start in the Eoma Eoma race. The time before only East Jet beat him so a return to the tactics of that day may pay dividends. (13) GAENARI SONG got a class 1 baptism of fire in the Eoma Eoma race and may have benefitted from the experience. Improvement is possible today. (3) YAHO SMART CAT the best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) East Jet (14) M J Power (2) Complete Sweep (13) Gaenari Song|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 11|