Sunday May 22
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Big field of three-year-old maidens in the opener. The one to beat is (4) BLUE INDY. Having trialed up well, he ran 3rd on debut over this distance on April 23rd, when settling midfield and finishing off well. With some natural improvement here, he may be hard to beat. (10) BURUI JILJU showed significant improvement at start number three on March 27th when settling right back and running on strongly for 3rd in a fair time on a wet track. The manner of that run suggests the wide draw won’t be a problem and he should be running on strong again. (2) EUNHYE GUY was ordered back to trial after his debut last place on March 19th. He looked a completely different prospect when passing that trial on April 29th and from a much better draw, compared to the widest on debut, he may go much better. (9) PERMISSION TO WIN and (1) NB JEONSA are others to consider.
|Selections||(4) Blue Indy (10) Burui Jilju (2) Eunhye Guy (9) Permission To Win|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The first division of a split maiden. (9) TROT QUEEN has steadily improved across six starts to date with her best two finishes coming in her latest two with a 3rd place at 1300M and then 2nd at 1200M, the latter having led almost the entire way around on April 17th. She was favourite that and will probably be so again and this time she can go one better. (4) EAST MAGIC comes in following his joint-best finish so far when 4th at this distance on April 2nd. From a good draw he can join Trot Queen on the early speed and should be in this a long way. (6) SINJURYU has gone well in his latest two and the engagement of an apprentice today brings his carried weight right down. He can settle handy or midfield and has the fastest final furlong average time in the field so should be running on strong. (8) GEOLJAK MAN and (5) POSA POSA are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Trot Queen (4) East Magic (6) Sinjuryu (8) Geoljak Man|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The second division of the split maiden. It’s not a strong race so we’re prepared to take a chance on one of the two first-time starters, (2) RED WARRIOR. He was on pace throughout his heat, eventually crossing the line in 2nd place and while it wasn’t a fast time, he is not exactly facing a lot of speedy types here. He gets a great draw, and the stable is in form. (1) DOWN THE ZONE took a few goes to figure things out but her latest two have been fine efforts, finishing in 3rd place on both occasions, both at this distance and both stalking the leader. She draws well again, carries the same weight, and could well start as the betting favourite. (4) OKDONG GONGJU has the fastest time among those who have tackled the distance before. She comes in with her recent form reading consistently and looks set to be in the finish here. (3) QUEEN OF RACING and (6) GLOBAL STORM others who can compete for the minor money.
|Selections||(2) Red Warrior (1) Down The Zone (4) Okdong Gongju (3) Queen Of Racing|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies in the South Coast opener and it’s a small but tricky field. (4) HAENGBOKAN HAMAN ran 4th on debut over 1200M on April 29th having been handy to the speed throughout. She should have come on for that run, she draws nicely again and is a leading contender here. (3) GOLD SWEET has a 2nd and a 4th to her name from three appearances so far with the 2nd, both of those coming at 1200M. She ran on pace in both of those and is nicely drawn to compete for the early lead again and to be in this a long way. (5) TWO TWO BRAIN and (2) GAMDONG ENERGY came home 2nd and 3rd respectively when they raced each other at 1200M on April 22nd. Two Two Brain came from off the pace while Gamdong Energy was up with the leaders throughout although the former ultimately came off best by three-lengths. Both can be in the hunt here. Among the rest, (6) EURO STAR perhaps has the potential for improvement.
|Selections||(4) Haengbokan Haman (3) Gold Sweet (5) Two Two Brain (2) Gamdong Energy|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here and (9) CHEONMA BISANG is set to be hot favourite. Her solitary win came two starts back at this class in a similar all-filly affair at this class and distance before running 4th, again at class and distance, beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process. She is yet to finish outside the top five and her style means the relatively wide draw shouldn’t be a problem. She can settle back and be too strong in the run here. (2) SILVER STAR hinted at a return to form at her latest start in a similar race to this on April 2nd when settling midfield and running on for 4th. She draws well here and should be available at an each-way prince. (11) HAPPY MIX finished well back behind Cheonma Bisang two starts back but that has been her only poor showing to date. She led in her latest at class and distance on April 24th, ultimately finishing 3rd, and while drawn wide and up slightly in weights, can be in the mix today. (8) ONE MORE RUSH and (4) WONDERFUL SAM are others to consider.
|Selections||(9) Cheonma Bisang (2) Silver Star (11) Happy Mix (8) One More Rush|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
This is a weak maiden. (9) SINUI JEONSA raced twice without distinction around the turn of 2020 and 2021 and then did not reappear until this spring. When he did, he looked a much better prospect, showing well in a trial before running 3rd on his racecourse return over this distance on April 24th, sitting on pace throughout. With the same apprentice keeping his weight light, he is the one to beat today. (2) WORLD FOUR A will get plenty of backers. Not only is he from the Kim Young-kwan stable, but he is also a half-brother to World Day (nine wins from nineteen) and he ran a fast time in what was admittedly a fast run trial. He draws well and couldn’t ask for a better race to debut in. (8) BLUE CAPTAIN comes in having run 3rd at this class over 1300M on April 15th having led early. He has the fastest time among these for the distance and can aim for at least the places again here. (4) VICTORY NINE and (3) DOCTOR PENTAGON are others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(9) Sinui Jeonsa (2) World Four A (8) Blue Captain (4) Victory Nine|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Despite the wide draw, (11) SKY FUTURE gets the verdict here. He returned from eight months out to win by a full nine-lengths over this distance on April 24th when he was a touch slowly away from an even wider gate than today, but quickly ran on to the pace and then cruised away from the field. He does come up in class, but the manner of that victory makes him hard to oppose here. (2) GOLDEN THUNDER was a touch slowly away on his first try at this class on April 16th and never really got to where he needed to be. He had previously shown some decent speed in two runner-up finishes over this distance at class 6 level and can be given another chance to go close here. (9) JISANGUN has the fastest time among these at the distance and comes back in trip following an on-pace 3rd over 1400M just two weeks ago. This should suit. Likewise, (6) THE REAPER comes back in trip following three spins around 1400M, which yielded a 2nd place finish. He can settle back and run into some money here. (7) GOLD K will be a rare Moon Se-young ridden horse that won’t be among the top line of fancies, but punters will treat him with caution, nonetheless.
|Selections||(11) Sky Future (2) Golden Thunder (9) Jisangun (6) The Reaper|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) BURNING PASSSION steps up in class following a good win at start number two which came at this distance on May 1st when she sat just behind the leader throughout much of the race before proving too strong at the business end. She draws nicely here and should be on or close to the pace again and while this is harder, she can win again. (3) YEONGGWANGUI POWER is the big danger. He returned to action following more than a year on the sidelines on April 24th and blitzed his way to an eight-length win, making all at this distance in a fast time. He too comes up in class here but a repeat of that showing will make him very hard to hold out and he will probably start as favourite. It would be a surprise if those two didn’t fill out the quinella, but (10) KING BOSS may have a say too. He too comes up in class following a good win at this distance just two weeks ago, making all, and while the draw is not kind, he can measure up at this level. (6) NAMED and (7) CHEONGMA POWER are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Burning Passion (3) Yeonggwangui Power (10) King Boss (6) Named|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) VIKING HEART is the one to beat here. He enters after a win and a runner-up finish in his latest two starts, both at this distance and both from settling handy to the speed. He draws well here for Antonio Da Silva to be able to pick his spot and can prove too good. (12) MONEY GARAK enters on a consistent run of form at this level. He likes to sit back and then run on so the wide draw isn’t of much concern here and will be doing his best work at the business end of the race. (10) NUBI GANGJA beat a couple of these on his wat to 3rd place at class and distance on May 1st. He does tend to get a bit far back in his races but runs on well and can find the money again. (6) AMAZING WHIZ comes in off a good runner-up finish at class and distance on April 17th when he settled handy before dropping back but then running on. That was an uptick on recent form, and he can maintain his momentum today. (4) FUN CRAZY another in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(1) Viking Heart (12) Money Garak (10) Nubi Gangja (6) Amazing Whiz|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Small but very competitive field. (3) GOOD STAR has won just the once in eleven outings but enters off the back of a strong 3rd place at class and distance on May 6th when settling in midfield and then running on. Under today’s conditions he carries a similar weight, and a second win is possible. Probably favourite is (6) OREUDA. With a win and a 3rd place among his first three results he was allowed to take his chance in the Gyeongnam Shinmun Classic trial on March 6th at this distance. He only beat one home that day after a poor start but dropped back to 1200M and ran 2nd at the start of April. He should be ready for another crack at this distance. (5) A ONE PLUS is yet to win in twenty attempts but has six runner-up and twelve top five finishes to his name. He comes back up in trip today and can settle back and run on into some money again. (4) USEUNG GANGJA has the fastest time among these for the distance and that brings him into money contention here while the up in class after a maiden win, (8) GLOBAL CHOEGO, is another to look out for.
|Selections||(3) Good Star (6) Oreuda (5) A One Plus (4) Useung Gangja|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Wildly competitive affair with many having warranted claims. With little confidence, we’ll side with (10) DUSON JANGGUN on the grounds that he is a class and distance winner and has the fastest time of any of these over the 1800M. He carries 4.5kg more than when he did both those things but only carried 1kg less when a good 4th at this latest start on April 24th. He can be ridden patiently here and finish well. (1) TRIPLE KINGDOM was one of those beaten by Duson Janggun two starts back before returning to beat a few of these on his way to a class and distance 2nd on April 16th. He too is not treated well by the weights, but he is by the draw which should allow him to drop in behind the leaders and use his late speed, which is the best of any of these. (9) BALVENIE was disappointing at his latest start but has plenty of ability and is proven at class and distance. He likes to go forward and neither draw nor weight is ideal, but he is by no means alone in that in this field and he can be in this a long way. (8) HWANGGEUM LUCKY and (4) THE SPIKER are others to consider.
|Selections||(10) Duson Janggun (1) Triple Kingdom (9) Balvenie (8) Hwanggeum Lucky|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A very open race. (4) SANGIM YEOWANG is a filly who is a winner of two of four starts so far and last time out won well in a good time over 1300M when she raced handy from a wide draw. She is up in class and while the set weight scale means she carries the same as she did at the lower class, that’s balanced by a nice draw, and she is worth a chance again at what should be an each-way price. (5) ADELE CROWN has been consistent at this class and comes n off back-to-back runner- up finishes in his latest two, at 1400M and last time at 1800M. He prefers to get forward in his races and the gate can help him here. (3) BEST HAMSEONG is a filly up in class, here after a somewhat unexpected runaway win over 1300M by eight-lengths in a good time. She led that day and while it might be tougher to do so here, she has a draw to help. (7) ACE SOLOMON is another who is consistent at this class and ran, an albeit distant, 3rd at his only start at this distance last September. He returned from six months off to run a good 2nd over 1200M on April 22nd and it would be no surprise if he was in the mix at the finish here. (6) GEUMA STARLET another firmly in the hunt
|Selections||(4) Sangim Yeowang (5) Adele Crown (3) Best Hamseong (7) Ace Soloman|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1200M) SROA Trophy (KOR-G3) Allowance / KRW 450 Million
The second leg of the Sprint Series. (10) RAON THE FIGHTER is an outstanding galloper who saw his winning streak ended at ten when suffering his first loss in the first race of this series, the Busan Ilbo. A multitude of things went wrong that day including a stumble then a bump at the start followed by working forward but very wide – and then wider still – but was still a hugely gallant 2nd to Eoma Eoma, who doesn’t make today’s starting late. With even an ounce of better luck today, he wins. (3) HIT YEGAM (no longer “Heat”) won two legs of the Triple Crown last year but is accomplished at the sprint distances too, with three victories at 1200M. He likes to lead and is nicely drawn. He has never finished outside the top two and is set for a bold showing here. (5) DIXIE AGAIN will be in the market today based on his last start when 3rd in the Busan Ilbo behind Eoma Eoma and Raon The Fighter. While his previous pattern was to be on the speed, in recent starts, he hasn’t tried to match the early pace and has instead settled back and then ran on. Expect more of the same here. (4) YEONGUNG LOUIS bumped heavily with Raon The Fighter at the start of the Busan Ilbo and then raced forward to be among the leading group at the 300M but had to battle from there on. His record before that was excellent though so is worth another chance today, probably with an easier run in the absence of Eoma Eoma. (2) SIMJANGUI GODONG, the President’s Cup winner, drops back in trip and can’t be ruled out from a great draw.
|Selections||(10) Raon The Fighter (3) Hit Yegam (5) Dixie Again (4) Yeongung Louis|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 9, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
(1) TUHONUI BANSEOK comes up in class but down in weight following a good win at his latest start over this distance on April 29th when he recorded a fast time on a wet track. He likes to race forward so is well drawn here and he should measure up. (2) DOMINATION will be favourite based on his last start 2nd when he was sent out for a shy at the Class 1 stumps and was beaten only by Success Macho, who went on to score again easily at that level last week. That does put him up significantly in the weights back down at class 2, but it’s countered a little with a better draw and he will be on pace and a has a big chance. (5) DAEAM JANGGUN is a lightly raced fellow, but he has built an imposing record, winning three of his last four, with the most recent being at this class. All have been at 1400M, and the one concern is that he is yet to run around two-turns and is up in the weights. Nevertheless, he settled forward and ran on well last time and should be kept safe. (4) JANGSAN DOKKI is worth thought based on his very close 3rd last time out when he was wide early then settled forward and battled on well in the straight. He should be there at the business end. (8) B.K JOHN another who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(1) Tuhonui Banseok (2) Domination (5) Daeam Janggun (4) Jangsan Dokki|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) GRAY CAT has won just once in fourteen starts but has eight top-three finishes and looks to be working towards another win. He drops back in trip after recent good work at 1700M and has won at this distance before. Moon Se-young climbs aboard and he will be favourite. (1) NEMO PRINCESS is a filly who likes to lead and comes off a win at this class and distance on April 17th when she led from gate to wire. That was a handicap, and she is nicely treated under today’s set weight conditions and with an ideal draw. (7) MENI SPEAR is up in class here coming off the back of two comprehensive wins at this distance, both times having made all. She has good early speed and will be competing for the lead right from the start. (11) SINUI ADEUL has been out of the top-four just twice in fourteen starts and doesn’t appear to know how to run a bad race. He has loads of minor money finishes at this class and distance and can race forward or midfield, so the wide draw is not too much of a concern. Expect him to be running on strongly late on here and if the early speedsters go too fast, he could take advantage. (9) DONGHAENG has won two of her last three starts over this distance, both times leading all the way. She comes up in class here and has the challenge of the wide draw but can be competitive.
|Selections||(5) Gray Cat (1) Nemo Princess (7) Meni Spear (11) Sinui Adeul|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) ILGYEOK PILSAL is very consistent of late at this class. He has tended to get back a little and then run on and was a good class and distance winner two starts back. He comes down slightly in the weights under today’s handicap conditions and warrants a big chance in a not overly strong race. (3) SAENAE POWERFUL is up in class here after a good win over 1300M. He has run good times at the 1200M and as an on-pace galloper, is well drawn here. (2) MUNHAK STRONG could offer value at potentially big odds. He has just the one 3rd place from six starts but has run acceptably well in recent starts, generally settling midfield. In a thin race and with a nice draw, he could quite feasibly place again. (10) UNCLE BELL hasn’t been too far away in recent starts at this distance and looks suited here. He does have the challenge of the wide barrier but recently has been settling midfield so shouldn’t be disadvantaged. An apprentice claiming 3kg enhances his chances. (1) GLOBAL LUCKY another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Ilgyeok Pilsal (3) Saenae Powerful (2) Munhak Strong (10) Uncle Bell|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(4) MIGHTY NEW has been competitive at recent starts and most recently was a very close 3rd when badly away before settling back and running on in the straight at class and distance on March 12th. A good draw today enhances his chances and with a better start, he can win this. (10) WILDLY ROMANTIC is up in class here on the back of wins in class 4 and last start at class 3, at 1200M and 1400M respectively. He likes to race forward and while he has drawn wide, he did the same in both of those wins. The rapid class rise is perhaps a concern, but he comes down in weight and could well measure up. (8) JANGSAN MISSILE is the probable betting favourite. He has been consistent across his nine starts so far, which have yielded four wins and last start, when rising to class 2 for the first time, settled midfield and made ground to finish in 3rd ahead of a couple of today’s rivals. Further improvement is possible here under a still light weight. (3) NIMUI HYANGGI has been there or thereabouts of late in this class. He does tend to get back in his races so many need a little luck in the run but is worth placing thought in this company. (6) LEGEND STORM the best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Mighty New (10) Wildly Romantic (8) Jangsan Missile (3) Nimui Hyanggi|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|