Sunday January 23, 2022
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens open proceedings with four of the twelve racing for the very first time. (9) ROAD ACE put in a couple of very solid runs at this distance, including a 2nd place in a fast time back in October. He has since raced poorly at 1300M and 1200M but coming back to the minimum trip today could well see him improve. The likely favourite is (5) CONCORDE SPURT, who ran 3rd on debut at this distance on Christmas Day when slowly away and then running on well. The time wasn’t fast but with a better start today and with some natural improvement, can win this. (6) CUPID SAFE only managed to finish in 7th place on debut in October but it was in a decent time – albeit during a period when the track was racing very fast. She’s had sixteen weeks off since then but every chance of going well from a central gate. (3) WONDERFUL SHADOW and (11) MAGIC GLORY looks the best of the first-timers.
|Selections||(9) Road Ace (5) Concorde Spurt (6) Cupid Safe (3) Wonderful Shadow|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A full field of three-year-old maiden fillies. (8) K N OLD QUEEN is the one to beat. After a promising trial, she ran 2nd on debut in a fair time at 1000M on December 26th, having raced prominently throughout. The Park Dae-heung/Moon Se-young combination will attract plenty and she surely jumps the favourite. (7) RISING HAWK also comes up in trip after a placing on debut when 3rd over 1000M on December 11th. She sat in midfield and finished off well and should have come on for that. (12) BURUI KKOT has the fastest time among those who have tackled the distance before. She has improved across three starts so far and was a very good 2nd at this distance on December 26th. She doesn’t draw so well today but should be in the finish again. (4) GREAT JENNY on the other hand, gets a much better draw than she did on debut at this distance on December 18th when she had to settle at the back but ran on strong. She can improve today. (11) WONPYEONG QUEEN, who finished in 4th place ahead of Great Jenny in that race, is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) K N Old Queen (7) Rising Hawk (12) Burui Kkot (4) Great Jenny|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(4) BYEORAK will be hot favourite here. He has improved across his four starts to date culminating in 2nd place when stepped up to this trip at his most recent start on December 26th, when he settled handy and ran on. Expect similar tactics today and he won’t need much improvement to win this. (11) DUSON DRIVE is the clear second choice. He comes up in trip after three goes at 1000M, the latest of which resulted in a runner-up finish. He ran consistent times and there is not reason the additional trip should be a problem. We’ll really have to take the others on trust. (12) SINJURYU was 3rd at this distance at his latest start and while the time wasn’t quick and he draws wide, that’s enough to get him into the numbers here. (10) CHEONGSAN YEONGUNG had a poor day at the office last time out but has run fast times at shorter and may improve. (3) ONE PUTT generally blows the start but is capable of finishing well.
|Selections||(4) Byeorak (11) Duson Drive (12) Sinjuryu (10) Cheongsan Yeongung|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 10, 11, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens in the south-coast opener with eight of them racing for the first time. It will be one of the four with experience who starts as the hot favourite though. (1) GUARDIAN ANGEL was 4th on debut back on November 26th in a good time when settling in midfield and then running on. With any kind of improvement at all, she will be very hard to beat. (10) BRAVO HAMYANG went through two trials and showed improvement in the second of those on Christmas Day, coming home in 2nd place in a fair time. He looks the best of the newcomers. (12) B. K. NEW MOON won her trial on December 18th with a front-running performance. The Take Charge Indy filly draws wide but can also go well in this company first up. Returning to those with experience, (5) ETERNAL ACE and (11) DEER KING both ran fairly on debuts for mid-field finishes, and both can be considered for improvement with top jockeys booked.
|Selections||(1) Guardian Angel (10) Bravo Hamyang (12) B. K. New Moon (5) Eternal Ace|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(4) JEONGMUN JJANG returns to action following almost eleven months on the sidelines. Previously he had run well at his distance, and he looked well when almost leading the entire way around in a Christmas Eve trial. He will obviously need this, but he draws well to get on pace and in an open race, has as good a chance as any. (8) V QUEEN has the fastest time among those who have tackled this distance before. She’s only been ordinary in her latest two starts but looks nicely in here to sit behind the speed and then run on. (11) MUNHAK FOREST likes to be on pace so may need some luck given his barrier, but he has a runner-up finish to his name at this distance and can be in the finish again. (1) PEPE RUN and (7) GWACHEON SINSEGYE are among others who can challenge for at least minor money.
|Selections||(4) Jeongmun Jjang (8) V Queen (11) Munhak Forest (1) Pepe Run|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 10, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(10) WILD ADELE has improved across three starts so far, culminating in 3rd place over 1300M at her latest when she led until the furlong pole. She comes up slightly in trip and draws wider, but an apprentice takes some weight off and she can go even closer this time. (4) NAMDO ILDEUNG is thoroughly unspectacular but is generally consistent. She drops back in trip following some recent efforts over a mile including a solid 3rd place last time. She will sit handy here and run on and will probably start as the betting favourite. (3) RAON THE MILLION was 6th behind Namdo Ildeung at their respective latest starts and from a good draw can find a nice position again and finish off well. (2) SILVER LADY has the fastest time among those here who have tried this distance before and while it wasn’t fast, it’s probably enough to bring her into the calculations here. (12) GREEN PAPAGO another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(10) Wild Adele (4) Namdo Ildeung (3) Raon The Million (2) Silver Lady|
|Next Best||12, 13|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A big field off fillies and mares and (2) SEONGSIL MONEY gets the nod. She is yet to win in nine attempts but but has eight top-five finishes and comes in following a good 2nd place at this class over 1300M on November 27th. She’s run a decent time at this distance as well and from a nice draw, Moon Se-young can pick his spot and she can win. (6) REMARKABLE ran well back behind Seongsil Money in that November race but has run once since then when 4th over 1300M beating a couple of today’s rivals and she can be in the hunt here. (11) SMART HIGH was a winner at class 6 level two starts back over 1200M before running adequately for 4th on her first try at this class, again over the 1200M, on December 18th. She’ll be on or close to the pace here and a chance. (14) JEONGSANG Z and (5) BLACK ROOKIE among others to consider for places.
|Selections||(2) Seongsil Money (6) Remarkable (11) Smart High (14) Jeongsang Z|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||10, 11, 12, 13|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Wildly competitive race. We’ll go with (14) LIGHT STORY to defy gate fourteen and return to the winner’s circle. He was the all the away winner on debut over 1000M before struggling on return at 1400M. In his latest two, he has seemed to be working back to form though with a close-up 2nd to a stablemate he really should have beaten at his latest on Christmas Eve. Seo Seung-un returns today and he could win. (1) ADELE CHUKBAE made all to get his maiden win at start number five on December 17th over this distance. He draws the inside once more and should measure up in this company. (6) CROWN KING STAR beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at this class over 1200M on Boxing Day, leading for much of the way around. He comes up significantly in the weights but You Hyun-myung climbs aboard and he should be a contender. (10) CAPTAIN YANKEE and (11) UNJU HERO are others in the frame.
|Selections||(14) Light Story (1) Adele Chukbae (6) Crown King Star (10) Captain Yankee|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
This is a good race with ten of the fourteen being fillies or mares. (11) COMPLETE STAR ran a slightly disappointing 5th at her latest start but she has put in some very good efforts at this distance, running consistently good times. She comes down slightly in weight, Moon Se-young climbs aboard, and she can win this. (2) BOOSTER ROCKET has been consistent across her six starts so far including a win at this distance at class 6 level two starts back. She draws nicely and under a light weight can go close. (1) EUNSEONG MARU was a fine winner on debut in a fast time over 1000M when she sat handy and ran on. She comes up in class and in trip today but has a great draw again and can measure up in this company. (3) PRINCESS SOCKS holds the fastest time of any of these and needs to be forgiven her latest effort. (9) JAY TROSS also comes up in class and distance having broken through at start three and is another who should be competitive.
|Selections||(11) Complete Star (2) Booster Rocket (1) Eunseong Maru (3) Princess Socks|
|Next Best||9, 13|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 10, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (1) MY DESTINY comes in having run a very close 2nd on her latest start at class and distance on December 17th when she sat handy throughout. She may be yet to win in nine starts but she has seven top five finishes and today could well be her day. (4) GLOBAL YEOSIN was an all the way winner on debut over 1000M on December 3rd. She comes up in class and in distance here but has a great draw to potentially lead again and should be in this a long way. (2) FANTASTIC LOVE should be on pace too. Like My Destiny, she hasn’t won but has finished in the top-four in all four starts to date including 2nd to a good winner at her latest start which brings her up in class here. She goes close. (7) ILNYEOM CHEONHA is another up in class. She has won, breaking through at her second attempt on December 19th. She can sit handy and run on here. (6) D’LOVELY QUEEN was 4th behind My Destiny last time out and can aim to match that here.
|Selections||(1) My Destiny (4) Global Yeosin (2) Fantastic Love (7) Ilnyeom Cheonha|
|Next Best||6, 14|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Two standouts here. We’ll tentatively side with (5) YEONGGWANGUI MISO. Her latest two outings have been in the Luna Stakes at a mile and the Oaks at 1800M. She ran very well in the first of those, coming late from off the pace to run 4th and while she was 8th in the Oaks, the margins weren’t huge. This looks a much more suitable assignment for her, and she has run great times at this distance. The main danger is (3) K N MAGIC. She won back-to-back races in September and October last year to get rapidly promoted to this level before running a good 3rd over 1400M at the end of November. She likes to come from just off the pace and will be running on strong here. (10) BIG RED comes up in class here but might be worth an each-way chance at odds. She carries a very light weight, and the draw shouldn’t be too problematic. (2) JEONJEONGSAEGUEM and (8) WHITE COMET are the other logical place chances.
|Selections||(5) Yeonggwangui Miso (3) K N Magic (10) Big Red (2) Jeonjeongsaguem|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(14) KING GOLIATH was an also-ran in the Korean Derby before two near-misses at class and distance back here at Busan. He drops back to the mile today, a distance at which he has run fast times and his running style means the gate, while not ideal, shouldn’t be an over-riding issue. He has plenty of ability and he could win. (11) PURE KING has finished no worse than 4th in eight starts and was a solid 3rd when stepped up to a mile at his latest start. He looks nicely in here and should be in the finish once again. (5) CLEAN SHOT beat three of these on his way to a very good win over 1800M on December 19th when coming from well back in the field. He comes up an extra 2kg in the weights but Lim Sung-sil, who rode him last time, rides him again and at his best, can double-up. King Goliath’s stablemate (7) BUCATINI ran 5th behind Clean Shot last start at 1800M and has run well at a mile before. He has placing claims. So too (9) SNYDER, who broke through when beating King Goliath over 1800M on December 5th, making all. He comes up in the weights but should be on pace again and will be in the finish.
|Selections||(14) King Goliath (11) Pure King (5) Clean Shot (7) Bucatini|
|Next Best||9, 13|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
After a couple of spins around 1000M to find his feet, (1) CHAMJOEUN CHINGU was stepped up in trip and promptly won back-to-back races in emphatic fashion at 1200M and 1300M, making all both times. That has brought her rapidly up in class and she comes up slightly further in trip, but the manner of those victories (nine-lengths and seven-lengths), coupled with the inside draw and light weight makes her hard to oppose here. (3) JOY BROTHER ran a fast time at class and distance on his latest outing on December 18th when running 2nd and beating plenty of today’s rivals. He has consistently run fast times over 1400M and should be a threat today. (7) ULTRA KING was favourite in that race, ultimately finishing in 5th. The margins weren’t huge though and he can be given another chance here. (11) CHEONBISEONG and (8) LUCKY WORLD are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(1) Chamjoeun Chingu (3) Joy Brother (7) Ultra King (11) Cheonbiseong|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||7, 9, 10, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(4) YEONGUNG LOUIS will be favoured to score here. His breakout came when 3rd behind Eoma Eoma and East Jet in the SBS Sports Sprint in Seoul in October. He then had a hard time from gate fourteen in the Owners’ Cup at a mile back here at Busan although that was quite an unusual race all around and from a good gate, Yeongung Louis is the one to beat. (5) AKER’S DREAM beat several of today’s rivals when winning over 1200M on December 19th, coming from off the pace. He comes up in trip and up a full 4kg in the weights but can go close again. (7) SUCCESS PARTY has been up and down in recent starts but drops back in trip today and might be worth a chance at an each-way price (2) QUEEN OF THE WORLD and (9) SONIC KING IJI were among those beaten by Aker’s Dream in that December 19th race, but both can be competitive here.
|Selections||(4) Yeongung Louis (5) Aker’s Dream (7) Success Party (2) Queen Of The World|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(8) SEUNGBUSA is a three-year-old with excellent form. he’s won three times and was a close 3rd in the Listed Nonghyup Chairman’s Cup. Last start when winning by 5 lengths over this distance he led then ran away in the straight. He’s up in class here and down in weight and likely favourite. (1) RAON LIGHT MAN registered a super win last start over 1200M from a wide barrier. He scarcely comes up in the weights and has a lovely draw today. Whilst he hasn’t won at 1400m, he has placed and should be competitive. (4) LUISA is another with good form having won at class and distance and most recently running a good 5th in the Jeju Governor’s Cup, again at today’s trip. She likes to race midfield or handy and should be finishing off strong here. (6) RAON BEAT has consecutive wins at 1700M and 1800M. He is up in class today but down in trip and slightly in weight and can be competitive. (3) MONEY ZIF another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Seungbusa (1) Raon Light Man (4) Luisa (6) Raon Beat|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Another good race. (10) CUPID BABE has been improving across her recently starts and at her latest overcame gate eleven to beat three of these over class and distance, making all. He comes up in the weights today but can repeat. (2) ACHIM HAMSEONG is a filly with good form and while she is yet to win at further than 1300M, she comes into contention here following a good 4th place over 2000M in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup on December 19th. She can come from off the pace and run on strong here. (9) CHEON GUN is worth some thought based on a good 3rd place last start to Cupid Babe and while up 1kg in weight, meats that rival 2kg better than that day. His racing pattern is to settle midfield and run on, so the barrier is not an issue. (4) SINUI YEOLMAE has solid staying form and was a narrow 2nd last start at 1800M and along with (3) MUNHAK LUCKY is another with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(10) Cupid Babe (2) Achim Hamseong (9) Cheon Gun (4) Sinui Yeolmae|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (2000M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(7) HEUNGHAENG JILJU races for the first time since running 3rd in the President’s Cup in November when he went right back before making up excellent ground late on. He was a class and distance winner three starts back when leading for most of the way around with several of today’s rivals behind him. He is nicely weighted, still looks to be on the way up and this is the kind of race he can win. (3) IRON SOCKS has shown solid staying form with two wins from his latest four including at this class. Last time out he was a close 4th when he led. He tackles this distance for the first time but is nicely drawn today to get an easy lead which will enhance his chances. (4) GEUMA ACME is yet to win in class 1 but in an enormous effort when 2nd in the President’s Cup when settling midfield and running on and that run alone brings him into the calculations here. (2) HEUK JEONSA is a winner of three class 1 distance races but is yet to score at today’s distance. He comes in having run a good 5th in the KRA Cup Classic and can be considered. (12) SHAMROCKER always in the hunt too.
|Selections||(7) Heunghaeng Jilju (3) Iron Socks (4) Geuma Acme (2) Heuk Jeonsa|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 8|