Racing NSW Stewards on Thursday conducted an inquiry into the Analysts’ findings of meloxicam in a pre-race blood sample taken from Zaaki prior to the gelding racing in Race 4 – JRA Plate conducted at Royal Randwick on 24 April 2021.
Evidence was taken from trainer of Zaaki, Ms Annabel Neasham, Mr Carl Holt, Managing Owner of Zaaki, Racing NSW General Manager-Veterinary Services Dr Toby Koenig and ARFL Science Manager Dr Adam Cawley.
Charge – AR240(2)
Ms Neasham pleaded guilty to a charge under AR240(2) of having presented Zaaki to race at Royal Randwick on 24 April 2021 and a pre-race blood sample taken from Zaaki was found to contain the prohibited substance meloxicam.
The Stewards considered the following matters in respect to penalty.
• Guilty plea and cooperation with the investigation.
• Ms Neasham’s short career as a licensed trainer.
• Zaaki was placed second as favourite in a group 3 race during the Autumn Carnival.
• Evidence from Dr Koenig that the gelding was administered meloxicam above the manufacturers recommended dosage, but Ms Neasham had adhered to advertised withdrawal times for the substance.
Ms Neasham was fined the sum of $7000.
In accordance with the provisions of AR240(1), Zaaki was disqualified from its second placing in Race 4 – JRA Plate conducted at Royal Randwick on 24 April 2021 and the placing’s amended as follows.
10. Paths Of Glory(GB) 1st
02. Hang Man(IRE) 2nd
09. Polly Grey(NZ) 3rd
06. Grey Lion(IRE) 4th
08. Zeyrek(FR) 5th
05. Entente 6th
03. Carif 7th
04. Wu Gok 8th
Division 2 – Prohibited substance in a sample taken from a horse
AR 240 Prohibited substance in sample taken from horse at race meeting (1) Subject to subrule (3), if a horse is brought to a racecourse and a prohibited substance on Prohibited List A and/or Prohibited List B is detected in a sample taken from the horse prior to or following its running in any race, the horse must be disqualified from any race in which it started on that day.
(2) Subject to subrule (3), if a horse is brought to a racecourse for the purpose of participating in a race and a prohibited substance on Prohibited List A and/or Prohibited List B is detected in a sample taken from the horse prior to or following its running in any race, the trainer and any other person who was in charge of the horse at any relevant time breaches these Australian Rules.
M F Van Gestel (Chairman)
S G Railton
T P Moxon
S K Knight