Australia

Back

Winx to resume in the Chipping Norton Stakes

The Waller stable advised on Tuesday that champion mare Winx will not resume in the $250,000, Group 2 WFA Apollo Stakes (1400m) at Randwick on February 17th with currently suspended jockey Hugh Bowman back to ride her in the $600,000, Group 1 WFA Chipping Norton Stakes (1600m) at Randwick on March 3rd.

On Monday Bowman’s appeal to the Racing NSW Appeal Panel over the penalty of his Warwick Farm suspension was dismissed meaning that with the Ellersllie suspension he incurred the day after that he is out of race riding until February 22nd.

Trainer Chris Waller suggested on Monday after Winx had placed fifth in a trial at Rosehill under Bowman that the stable and connections had options including the Chipping Norton Stakes as a starting point for the mare’s new campaign.

“Hugh Bowman is a very important part of Winx and we feel we can go straight into the Chipping Norton without the need to resume in the Apollo Stakes as we originally planned,” said Waller in a statement.

“She races well fresh and we are well ahead of schedule with here so I will simply give her a third trial to ensure her fitness levels are high enough to compete at her best in this race,” he said.

Waller said that if Bowman had been suspended during the mare’s campaign they would have used another jockey, but that at the start of the campaign they are able to delay her first race without an impact on her following races.

Winx's trial at Rosehill on Monday - video Sky Racing

Share/Bookmark