NSW jockey Blake Shinn lodged an appeal with the Racing NSW Appeal Panel against penalty after being found guilty of careless riding by Racing NSW Stewards under AR137(a) after his ride on Ruthless Agent in Race 6 (Schweppes Shooting Star Handicap, 1250m) at Canterbury Park Racecourse on Friday, 2 February 2018.
Following the Stewards inquiry on Wednesday, 7 February 2018, Mr Shinn was suspended for a period commencing on Sunday, 11 February 2018 and to expire on Thursday, 22 February 2018, on which day he may resume riding.
This appeal was heard on Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at the offices of Racing NSW commencing at 9:30am.
The whole Appeal Panel makes the following order:-
1. Finding of guilt for breach of AR137(a) confirmed.
By Majority (Mr Clare and Mr Marney; Mr R Beasley SC disagreeing);
2. Appeal against severity of penalty allowed;
3. Penalty of a seven-meeting suspension set aside;
4. In lieu of that penalty, a penalty of a five-meeting suspension is imposed. That suspension commenced on 11 February 2018, and concludes on 20 February 2018, on which day the appellant may ride, and
5. Appeal deposit to be refunded.
Link - Reasons for Decision
Please click on the following link to view - Reasons for Decision
Blake Shinn, picture Sportpix.com.au