Korea: Seoul Racecourse – Sunday August 12, 2018
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(12) BEYOND OVER ran a useful 2nd on debut on July 15th, running on pleasingly. She’s got the widest gate today but that shouldn’t be too much of a hindrance and she’s got a good chance of coming out on top this time in this all-filly affair. (4) STEEL RUN was 4th in that race, a position she’s developed a habit of ending up in and there is a chance she could improve here although stiffer competition may come in the form of (1) RAON WILLIAMS. She was a touch disappointing in 6th on her debut last month having previously impressed in trials, but hopefully learned a bit from it and does better this time. (9) HALLA DAERO and (11) SCARLET PERFECT both recorded their first runner-up finish on their respective latest starts and should be very much in the placing hunt again today.
|Selections||(12) Beyond Over (9) Halla Daero (1) Raon Williams (4) Steel Run|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Only one of these juveniles has raced before. That’s (9) WONDERFUL EVIL, who ran a decent 4th in a similar contest over the distance on July 7th. That experience should stand him in good stead and he has a chance but we will be favouring a couple of the first-timers. Likely favourite is (6) WINT SEVEN. He won his trial in a decent time under today’s jockey Manoel Nunes and is perfectly drawn in the middle to get a good start and go all the way. (1) HAE SAEM CHAM won her trial too, coming from just behind the early leaders to run on nicely. Nunes was also her trial rider but gets on Wint Seven here. With a name like (7) DO KKI BLADE, you’d hope this Officer colt is good, but he didn’t offer many clues in his trial. Connections mean he will be backed though. (8) BLACK ZAPPER is another who has the potential to go well first-up.
|Selections||(6) Wint Seven (1) Hae Saem Cham (7) Do Kki Blade (9) Wonderful Evil|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) CHEONSANG GIUN did noting in his first two starts before being shunted up to 1700M for his next two where he started to show some hints of ability. That continued back down at this distance last start when he ran a useful 4th and he can make his breakthrough today. The main danger looks to be the solitary debut-maker (7) MYEONGPUM CHUKJE. He looked good across two trials, most recently on July 20th and if he brings that form to the races, he has a real chance. (8) BEST BOBAE comes in off a 3rd place in an admittedly weak contest over 1200M on July 7th and could look to match that here while (2) DAEJIUI SAESSAK and (6) GANGSANUI ACHIM are ones with potential to improve on recent results.
|Selections||(1) Cheonsang Giun (7) Myeomgpum Chukje (8) Best Bobae (2) Daejiui Saessak|
|Next Best||6, 4|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) MAIN RACER has had a couple of months off since disappointing when favourite at class and distance on June 3rd. He was reasonably well positioned that day but didn’t quicken, ultimately ending up in 5th. He’s shown plenty of ability though and will probably be ridden on the speed today and is worth another chance. Stablemate (2) DAEMYEONG SOLAR ran well when stepped up to this trip last time and can build on it here, while (3) SUJEBI and (7) SPEED HWANGNYONG came home 3rd and 4th over this distance on June 16th. Sujebi has raced once more since then and struggled when favourite, but Speed Hangnyong returns for the first time and will be expected to do better today. (4) MIDAS CHIEF is another hwo looks to be figuring things out and can go close.
|Selections||(6) Main Racer (7) Speed Hwangnyong (4) Midas Chief (2) Daemyeong Solar|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) KING POSE drops back in trip having just been beaten a head over 1700M on June 24th. He’s won at this trip already, should be on speed early and has a chance. (4) MALAKAS keeps going close at this class with several near-misses. He began poorly at 1000M last time but still rallied for 5th and with a better start, can get much closer. (6) SUN BOLT won on debut back in January but had seemingly started to lose his was in his next three outings He arrested that slide with a solid 3rd on his first try at this distance three weeks ago and can build on it here. (2) NANGMAN STAR and (5) BAEKSAN ISLAND are others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(7) King Pose (4) Malakas (6) Sun Bolt (5) Baeksan Island|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) ROMAN BLADE only managed 6th place when favourite at class and distance on July 15th. We’ll not give up on her yet though and with Manoel Nunes rising her for the first time, she’ll likely be favourite to put things right here. When she got her maiden win back in June, she beat (4) CLEAN FLOWER by two lengths. Clean Flower followed up with a five-length win of her own on July 7th to come up in class for the first time and she will be one of the principal dangers. Others include (5) SPECIAL WINNER, who drops back in trip following a good 2nd place at 1400M and (2) MONEY DAERYUK, who like Roman Blade, needs to be given another chance after a slightly underwhelming performance last time out. There are three others up in class off the back of maiden wins. (1) GWACHEON JANGSA, (7) HANIL GANGJA and (10) LIVINGSTONE should all be competitive at this level with Gwacheon Jangsa the most favoured among them at this point.
|Selections||(3) Roman Blade (4) Clean Flower (5) Special Winner (1) Gwacheon Jangsa|
|Next Best||2, 7, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 10|
Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) DAE WAN MA was a good winner on debut on June 23rd, making all over 1000M. She’s up in class and distance here but showed enough in that performance to suggest that’s she’s going to be hard to beat. (8) MACH SEUNGNI joins her up in class having won at the eight time of asking a month ago and can be competitive too. (5) MONKEY SOCKS got his own maiden win at this level on July 8th and while today’s task is stiffer, has every chance of going well again. It’s a maiden who’s up in class who may pose the biggest threat though. (10) BURUI GORI has looked very competent in a 4th and two runner-up finishes to date and should get close again. As for those with experience of the level already, (7) STRONG RUNNER was a good 3rd over 1400M on July 14th and should be aiming to at least match that here.
|Selections||(2) Dae Wan Ma (10) Burui Gori (8) Mach Seungni (7) Strong Runner|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 5|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) O.J.HWAK DAB remains a maiden after eight attempts but ran a strong class and distance 2nd on July 8th behind a decent winner. It’s a similar strength race today and he could finally get it right. So too could (2) FIORE. He comes in following back to back 2nd places, both at this distance and similarly looks close to a first career victory. (9) STRONG MAN and (4) NAEGA KKEUTPANWANG finished 2nd and 4th when they raced each other in a very similar contest to this on July 7th and both should be competitive today while (1) CHEON MONG resumes after nine weeks off and has proven himself capable at this level.
|Selections||(5) O.J.Hwak Dab (9) Strong Man (2) Fiore (4) Naega Kkeutpanwang|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) JANGSAN JEPAE won two of her first five starts to get up to this level. She’s steadily improved in four efforts since, culminating in 4th place over 1400M on June 24th. She drops back slightly in trip here but should be on pace early and can win today. (5) ONLY GO and (4) GWANGYA BULGIDUNG finished 4th and 5th at this distance on June 10th, Inly Go has raced once since that (rather disappointingly too) while Gwangya Bulgidung returns for the first time. Both look capable of being competitive here. (2) MAHA HUIMANG is one start into a comeback following eight months off. He looked like he needed the run but has every chance of improving today. (1) HAEGARAM has plenty of experience at this level and shouldn’t be too far away.
|Selections||(3) Jangsan Jepae (4) Gwangya Bulgidung (5) Only Go (2) Maha Huimang|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 10: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) ARGO ROCKET is going to be very tough to beat here. True that supposed to be the case last time when he sent off favourite at class and distance, but that was a tough race and he ran a close 2nd. He has to overcome a wide draw but should be able to do that and can move on to what will be three wins from four starts. (5) HAEKHANGGONGMOHAM also came up short when favourite at class and distance last time out running 4th behind three useful types. He won the time before that, however, and the lightly –raced five-year-old has solid placing chances here. As does (2) FLYING MUNNING, who returns for the first time since May. He looked good when winning a July trial and can go well today. (1) GAECHEONUI YONG and (4) ROYAL FAVOR are others to look out for.
|Selections||(11) Argo Rocket (5) Haekhanggongmoham (2) Flying Munning (1) Gaecheonui Yong|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 11|
Race 11: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) THUNDER MARINE is up in class following a good win over a good favourite at this distance on June 8th. He looks a nice colt with plenty of potential for further development and he’ll be expected to go to the lead here and can make all the running. (5) RAON ALICE has a 2nd and a 5th place finish from two attempts at this distance to date and can be a danger. He too is likely to challenge for the lead right from the gate. (7) WAWA YEOJANGBU steps back in trip to this distance for the very first time. He’s won at 1300M and was 3rd behind the very good Gangtoma last start and should be in the hunt. (2) GUREUM SONJITHAE and (8) STORM RYKER look best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Thunder Marine (7) Wawa Yeojangbu (5) Raon Alice (8) Storm Ryker|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 8|
Race 12: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(2) ECTON SINHWA ran out a four-length class and distance winner on July 8th in a race of similar strength to this one. She only carries slightly more weight today and has every chance of following up. She’ll likely take a sit behind early pace set by (1) DAECHEON ACE. The Exploit colt is up in class giving had a few too many near misses at class 5 including 2nd place on his first try at this distance three weeks ago and looks nicely in here. (5) CAPTAIN POWER, (3) MONSTER QUEEN and (9) GEUMGANG CHEONHA all come in after positive performances at this distance, the latter having raced each other on July 1st. All should be in the hunt here. The wildcard is (6) MIR PARK. She’s won two of her latest three to move up rapidly in class and also tries two turns for the first time.
|Selections||(2) Ecton Sinhwa (1) Daecheon Ace (5) Captain Power (6) Mir Park|
|Next Best||9, 3, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6|
Race 13: Class 3 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
It took (3) STORM NAVY SEAL a while to figure things out but he’s managed two wins and two 2nd places from his latest four so it’s fair to say he’s cracked it. He returns after a two-and-a-half month spell and the Sepoy colt is more than capable of picking up from where he left off. (2) GOLDEN BLACK was just a nose behind Storm Navy Seal in the latter’s most recent race in May and while one subsequent start for Golden Black didn’t go well, the Nunes factor will see him backed today. (9) URIGA BON ran a strong 2nd place over 1800M a month ago and must be respected while (1) HWANGGEUM BISANG and (4) CHEONG UN SIDAE are both capable of putting in good performances in this company.
|Selections||(3) Storm Navy Seal (9) Uriga Bon (2) Golden Black (1) Hwanggeum Bisang|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9|
Race 14: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(7) TOSCONOVA CAT comes in having run a good class and distance 2nd on July 14th. He’s won at this distance already and it would be a surprise were he not to see off this modest field with some ease. (6) KING’S WARRIOR was a good 3rd over 2000M on his latest effort. He’s well established at class 2 now and can give the favourite a decent test. As can (5) YEOKJEONUI USEUNG, who has finished 3rd in each of his latest two outings and should be on pace from the start. (3) SMART PARK is up in class having won at this distance in June. She’s had a couple of months off since and while she will need to improve, she can compete for some money.
|Selections||(7) Tosconova Cat (6) King’s Warrior (5) Yeokjeonui Useung (3) Smart Park|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5|
Race 15: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
(7) CHEONJIGA won a similar race to this in May and while he only managed 5th on his re-appearance on July 1st, he can get back to winning ways today under a nice light weight. (8) JANGSAN POWER drops back in trip following a couple of goes around 1400M. This will be his first class 1 try at this distance and he can go close. (3) ZENTENARY pulled off one of his sporadic shock-wins on July 15th. He can be respected but it probably won’t happen again under an extra 4.5kg and (2) DAISYAN, who was one of those beaten that day, probably has a better chance. (9) ALWAYS WINNER hasn’t been in the best of form of late but if he can get onto the early speed, he can never be completely ruled out.
|Selections||(7) Cheonjiga (8) Jangsan Power (2) Daisyan (9) Always Winner|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 9|