Korea: Seoul Racecourse – Saturday September 15, 2018
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) RAON JAMES has improved across three starts so far and ran a strong 2nd over this distance on August 19th. From gate 1, he can get off to a quick start and should have too much for this field. (8) MERRY WHITE comes in having recorded her first 2nd place finish four weeks ago and can aim to at least match that today. (4) GEUP HAENG MA was 6th behind Raon James on debut in that August 19th race and can build on it here. (6) SEOKGWA BULSIK struggled on debut over 1200M last month but the minimum distance today could suit more. The wildcard is (11) TONGHAP SIDAE. She hasn’t been seen since her debut last Christmas Eve when she beat Merry White on her way to 3rd place at this distance. She trialed encouragingly last month.
|Selections||(1) Raon James (8) Merry White (11) Tonghap Sidae (4) Geup Haeng Ma|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 11|
Race 2: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here (along with one mare) and (7) RAON WILLIAMS ran out a six-length winner over this distance on August 12th to get promoted to this level. She made all that day and while the competition is undoubtedly stiffer today, she can get on pace again and win again. She’s joined up in class by (2) LUCAS and (11) BARAMUI SORI, both of whom got their maiden victories last start, the latter on debut and both can be competitive even if they have a little more to find than Raon Williams at this stage. (10) FANTASTIC QUEEN was a shock class and distance winner on August 18th, beating (6) STRONG LIGHT by a head. A repeat isn’t impossible although Strong Light will be favoured to overturn that form.
|Selections||(7) Raon Williams (6) Strong Light (2) Lucas (10) Fantastic Queen|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||1,6, 7, 8, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 million
There are twelve juvenile fillies here, all of whom are racing for the very first time. Two of them come in having won their trials with (3) NAREUDUSI having been slightly more impressive than (11) HEUNG BUJA. The presence of Manoel Nunes aboard the former is probably enough to ensure she begins as favourite. (1) HEUNG KKAEBI also went well in her trial. She’s a half-sister to the very good Sotong Sidae (as well as a few average ones) and should join Naareudusi on the early speed. (5) BAKCHAOREOM and (12) YAHO M J CAT are others who caught the eye in their respective heats and can go well first-up. As ever in races such as this, do watch the market for any clues.
|Selections||(3) Nareudusi (1) Heung Kkaebi (12) Yaho M J Cat (11) Heung Buja|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 12|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(1) DAE UNHA has been close in recent starts and emerging from the inside gate today, the Hansen colt has a good chance of getting away well and potentially getting his maiden win. (2) ISCRA, who starts beside him, looks to be the main danger. He ran a good 2nd over 1200M on August 18th, with four of his rivals here back down the track. He too will be on pace and can go close. (6) K ZONE comes in with recent form reading well and should be in the placing hunt while (10) MEGA CITY and (11) MIDAS CHIEF have both proven competitive and can also aim for career-best finishes today.
|Selections||(1) Dae Unha (2) Iscra (6) K Zone (11) Midas Chief|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9, 10|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Wide open race with most having at least some claim. (4) UNDEFEATED won on debut and hasn’t been too far away from adding to his tally in each of his four subsequent tries. He’s come up short but not by much and looks worthy of another chance here. (6) RAON SIRIUS returned from almost five months off to run 3rd over 1000M three weeks ago. His solitary win came at this distance and he looks a big danger. (5) MONEY ZIF was unexpectedly beaten by (8) J BAEK last time as the pair came home 2nd and 3rd over 1200M. He should at least overturn the form on that one today and can be in the hunt. (1) SPEED HWANGNYONG steps up in class following a maiden win and while he will need to improve, he’s not without a chance. (3) SKY MARINE and (12) EAST KINGDOM both come on having placed in their latest outings and may also be considered.
|Selections||(4) Undefeated (6) Raon Sirius (3) Sky Marine (5) Money Zif|
|Next Best||12, 1, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 10|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) WINNER SPIRIT was an eye-catching eight-length winner over 1300M on August 19th. He’s up in class today but the manner of his win – his second in four starts so far – suggests there is plenty more to come. (1) CHEON MONG too is up in class having got his own second career win by a similarly wide margin a month ago. He too will challenge for the early speed and has claims. (5) WINNING WIN is already a proven winner at this class having prevailed over 1200M in July. He comes in having run 3rd in a very competitive contest four weeks ago and is another to be strongly considered. (8) PALDO DAEJANG has won two of her last three to be rapidly promoted to this level and is another one who has potential to improve even further. (10) CAPTAIN POWER drops back in trip following recent assignments at 1700M – which included a win. He has Busan’s champion jockey Jo In-kwen aboard and could be a live outsider.
|Selections||(7) Winner Spirit (1) Cheon Mong (8) Paldo Daejang (5) Winning Win|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 8|
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) JANGSAN JEGUK ran out a good winner at this distance on August 19th and while up in class today, has as much chance as any of taking the honours here. In a field full of fast starters, he is a bit of an exception but if Nunes can keep him out of trouble, it may well work out in his favour. Since returning from six months off in July, (12) CUPID DOCTOR has been second in both her engagements, most recently being beaten just a head over 1400M four weeks ago. She’s one of the many who will look to get on speed here and she has a chance. (5) RAON PRIMER didn’t do himself justice last time and is worth another chance to improve while the same applies to (9) HURACAN. (10) DREAM MISS and (11) MONEY DAERYUK both enter having won last time out, the latter being up in class today.
|Selections||(1) Jangsan Jeguk (12) Cupid Doctor (10) DreamMiss (5) Raon Primer|
|Next Best||11, 9, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) YAHO STRONG CAT won by a nose in a tight finish over class and distance on August 11th. That continued his recent run of good form and he’s favoured to back straight up with another win today. (10) SENSE JAENGI ran well on debut on August 18th, exceeding expectations to finish a very promising 2nd over 1000M. He ran on pleasingly and the additional furlong today may suit. (9) JANGSAN BEARS weakened last start but drops back in trip today and can be given another chance. (2) SAMSEONG DONGHANG and (6) HEUNG JJANG have each only run twice but both showed improvement on their respective second starts and both could continue their development today.
|Selections||(11) Yaho Strong Cat (10) Sense Jaengi (9) Jangsan Bears (2) Samseong Donghang|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 11|
Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(2) SAUVIGNON may only have managed 6th place when second in the betting over class and distance on August 19th but the margins weren’t huge and he didn’t run badly. There’s a top jockey on board today and he has to be worth another chance to get to the lead from the gate a potentially lead all the way. The very experienced (5) KYMA comes in off the back if a 3rd and 4th, both at this distance and the latter at this class. He beat a couple of the others who run here in the most recent of those and should be close at hand today. (9) DAVIKI got his best finish in four starts with 2nd place at class and distance on his latest start. That was a full twelve weeks ago so he comes in here fresh and with claims to go improve once more. (3) ONLY GO and (6) HAWK EYES look the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Sauvignon (5) Kyma (9) Daviki (3) Only Go|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8|
Race 10: Class 3 (1900M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Small field here and both likely faovurites will have to bounce back from poor showings in their respective latest starts. (1) HONEY BUTTER NINO was a winner at this class over 1800M in July but was scarcely involved when slow away and resenting kickback on August 25th. With a better start this time, he should be much better. (4) GEUMTUSA, 3rd behind Honey Butter Nino back in April, races for the first time since May. He too needs a good start and if he gets it, will be right in the frame. (3) JISANG BIHAENG enters following back to back 4th place finishes and matching those should be a minimum requirement today while (5) COMPASS and (6) YEOKDAE CHOESANG are others who should be in at least the hunt for the places.
|Selections||(1) Honey Butter Nino (4) Geumtusa (3) Jisang Bihaneg (5) Compass|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Race 11: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
After finishing 3rd on debut in July, (5) THANK YOU CHARLIE ran out a six-length winner over 1000M on August 18th, making all. The Adios Charlie gelding is up in class and distance today but there’s no reason why he can’t win again. Also up in class is (7) HAEKHANGGONGMOHAM. He’s won two of his latest three and the late-developer can be competitive here too. (3) BROADWAY SIN ran a solid 3rd place at class and distance at the end of July and can aim to at least match that today. While after a couple of months out, (4) NEORANEUN CHUKJE looked sharp winning a trial last week in a very fast time and so long as he didn’t leave his race back there, should be in the hunt too. (9) MUCH MONEY the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Thank You Charlie (4) Neoraneun Chukje (7) Haekhanggongmoham (3) Broadway Sin|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5|
Race 12: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(11) OP SEVEN and (5) WILD THUNDER came home 3rd and 4th respectively when they raced each other over 2000M on August 18th. Back in trip today, Wild Thunder may be slightly favoured to reverse the form but OP Seven still has every chance. Neither of those will likely lead from the gate as there is plenty of early speed here, especially (6) GOLD MUSIC, who was a very fast winner over 1200M on July 1st and returns to racing for the first time since. It’s been a while since he tackled anything further than six furlongs but he’s not without hope here. (1) DYNAMIC JILJU and the up in class (8) IGWANGSASEOK are others who have at least placing claims in what should be a good finale.
|Selections||(11) OP Seven (5) Wild Thunder (6) Gold Music (8) Igwangsaseok|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 9, 12|