27 horses from across Europe now settled in at quarantine facilities in the UK and Ireland ahead of their trip to Victoria to compete over the spring.
Following the arrival of three Godolphin-owned gallopers in Melbourne last Saturday, a further 22 horses – including multiple Group 1 winners Benbatl and Best Solution – last night entered a pre-export quarantine facility in Newmarket.
A further five horses, led by dual Group 1 placegetter and 2017 Epsom Derby runner-up Cliffs Of Moher, have also commenced quarantine in Ireland at the private facility of Aidan O’Brien.
They will all spend the next fortnight in their temporary homes, before boarding a flight to Melbourne which is due to touch down on Saturday, 29 September.
In addition to the 27 arrivals from Europe, Japanese stayers Chestnut Coat and Sole Impact will also enter quarantine in their home country today, and are scheduled to land in Melbourne on Monday, 1 October.
Their arrival will take the total number of internationals quarantined at Racing Victoria’s (RV) Werribee International Horse Centre to 32, which is the maximum capacity.
Ten of the 27 Europeans will remain in Australia once they have completed their mandatory two-week quarantine period on Saturday, 13 October having been purchased by Australian owners or sent to local trainers by their current owners.
They are: Dal Harrald and Pharrell (both Ciaron Maher and David Eustace), Langley (Darren Weir), Finche, Shraaoh and Casterton (Chris Waller), Gustavus Vassa (Team Hayes), Marathon Man and Sound Check (both Mike Moroney) and Danon Distance (trainer to be advised).
Paul Bloodworth, RV’s General Manager - Racing and International Operations, said: “We’re looking forward to welcoming some of the best horses from Europe to Melbourne for the Spring Racing Carnival. These horses generate great interest in Victorian racing both here and back in their homeland."
Following is a list of the horses in quarantine in England:
• Benbatl (Saeed bin Suroor)
• Best Solution (Saeed bin Suroor)
• Prizemoney (Saeed bin Suroor)
• Comicas (Charlie Appleby)
• Cross Counter (Charlie Appleby)
• Emotionless (Charlie Appleby)
• Hamada (Charlie Appleby)
• Count Octave (Andrew Balding)
• Duretto (Andrew Balding)
• Red Verdon (Ed Dunlop)
• Prince Of Arran (Charlie Fellowes)
• Withhold (Roger Charlton)
• Dal Harrald (Ciaron Maher and David Eustace)
• Pharrell (Ciaron Maher and David Eustace)
• Langley (Darren Weir)
• Casterton (Chris Waller)
• Finche (Chris Waller)
• Shraaoh (Chris Waller)
• Gustavus Vassa (Team Hayes)
• Marathon Man (Mike Moroney)
• Sound Check (Mike Moroney)
• Danon Distance (Trainer to be advised)
Following is a list of the horses in quarantine in Ireland:
• Cliffs Of Moher (Aidan O’Brien)
• Fleet Review (Aidan O’Brien)
• Intelligence Cross (Aidan O’Brien)
• Spirit of Valor (Aidan O’Brien)
• Yucatan (Aidan O’Brien)
Following is a list of the horses that are scheduled to enter quarantine in Japan today:
• Chestnut Coat (Yoshito Yahagi)
• Sole Impact (Hirofuma Toda)
Following is a list of the international horses that are currently completing their post-arrival quarantine at the Werribee International Horse Centre:
• Blair House (Charlie Appleby)
• Folkswood (Charlie Appleby)
• Jungle Cat (Charlie Appleby)