KOREA: Busan Racecourse – Sunday November 11, 2018
Busan Race 2: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Both (3) PERFECT BOSS and (4) WINDY PARK step up in class having won their respective latest starts, both of them over 1300M. Perfect Boss looks to be still on the way up and having already been a winner at this distance, he’s favoured to prevail once more. Windy Park will be on pace early and is the clear main danger but the rest will need to improve. (6) V MAN may appreciate the drop back in trip today and should have the beating of a few of these while (7) HANEOL GONGJU returns from nine weeks out having already proven competitive at this level. (2) BAEDARI GOSU struggled to get involved last time out when beaten by V Man but can show a bit more here.
|Selections||(3) Perfect Boss (4) Windy Park (6) V Man (7) Haneol Gongju|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) RED CLOUD finished 2nd in no fewer than five of his first six starts. After seven months off, he returned at the beginning of October and landed his first career victory, scoring very nicely at this distance. His reward is to be put up in class but he should still be competitive and can get an early lead from the inside and win again. (2) BAEKDU QUEEN also steps up in class after a somewhat surprising maiden win and has a bit more to find so more favoured is (7) JILJU CHOEGANG, who came home 3rd at class and distance last start on October 14th and can go well again today. (11) I’M YOUR STAR enters in good shape following back to back class and distance 3rd place finishes and should be in the hunt while (4) CURLIN FANTASY and (6) WIDAEHANGWANGGYONG are others to look out for.
|Selections||(1) Red Cloud (7) Jilju Choegang (4) Curlin Fantasy (11) I’m Your Star|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(6) SAKISAKI took nine goes to get her maiden win but she evidently enjoyed it as she’s proceeded to win three in a row. The horse she beat last time, Hennessy Prime, ran out a very good winner on Friday and Sakisaki could well make it four in a row here. Not many horses do that though and this won’t be easy. (5) YONGWANGDAM is two starts into a comeback following five months off and has gone well at this trip in tougher company than this. (8) ARAM NARAE is up in class having run out a five-length winner at this distance three weeks ago and looks dangerous here. (10) ALPHA RUNNER too is up in class following two wins in four starts. He’s up in distance too and perhaps has a bit to find but should be there or thereabouts. (9) VEGA KHAN best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Sakisaki (5) Youngwangdam (8) Aram Narae (10) Alpha Runner|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11|
Busan Race 5: Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup (KOR G2) (2000M) Allowance / KRW 500 Million
1. JEULGEOUN HAMSEONG – She’s a consistent money winner at class 3 level in Seoul but this looks a big ask for her. Last ran 4th of 10 over 1800M in August so returns for the first time in over two months. Outsider.
2. JEJUI HANEUL – On her only previous visit to Busan, she won the 2017 Oaks. She’s only won once since then but three of her latest four outings have been in Group or Listed races and she’s acquitted herself well in all of the, 5th behind Seouri Byeol in the Jeju Governor’s Cup last time. Can be in the placing frame again.
3. CATCH NINE – Was a bit ordinary in the Oaks but bounced back to win consecutive races at a mile and 1400M in August. Distance a slight concern but should be on pace from the start and could be involved.
4. SKY BAY – Didn’t run badly on her first go at class 1 three weeks ago finishing 5th of 12. It was also her first try at two turns so hopefully she has learned a bit. Steps up even further today and will need to improve but looks a progressive type. She could do it.
5. DAMYANG HWANHO – Ran a good 2nd in the Ttukseom Cup followed by 4th in the KNN Cup so a win here would give her a chance of taking the series. She struggled on her latest start though, weakening to last over 2200M at the end of September. A furlong less should help today.
6. BLACK SAPPHIRE – “Full” sister to the great Triple Nine, she’s a decent racehorse herself. Her 2nd place over 1800M on a fast track last start was good but her 4th over 2000M behind three really good types may have been better. Outside chance.
7. HELLO VENUS – 5th in this race last year bus she hasn’t gone well in the two legs so far this time around. Better draw today and if she gets forward early she could be in with a shout of the places.
8. CHEONGSU YEOGEOL – Winner of the Ttukseom Cup and 2nd in the KNN Cup, she looks set to become overall winner of the series. However, she’s in unchartered territory here having never run further than a mile. First start since August so plenty of doubts about her but if she gets the trip, she has a very good chance.
9. GOLD BLUE – A genuine class 1 mare, ran 3rd in the Ttukseom Cup and 5th in the KNN Cup and is capable of running the kind of times necessary to win this. She won’t be among the top line of favourites and could offer some value. She’ll go right back and close strongly.
10. ARCH NARAE – Yet to win at higher than class 5, she looks to be one with potential, but this may be a bit too much too soon.
11. SWEET ROCK – A stablemate of Sky Bay, she had gone cold but her form picked up last time when she ran a useful 2nd over 1700M on October 6th at class 3. This is much tougher though.
12. SEOURI BYEOL – 3rd in the Korean Oaks before winning the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup over 1800M at Seoul in September. She then dropped to seven furlongs to run 3rd in the Jeju Governor’s Cup, beating Ice Marine and Jejui Haneul in the process. Strong closer, she has a chance.
13. MAJUNGMUL – Makes her first start since July and while she looked decent in a Seoul trial a couple of weeks ago, this is a tough ask first up.
14. ICE MARINE – She flew home in the KNN Cup, and made it up to 3rd place, just a head behind Cheongsu Yeogeol. She then went to the Jeju Governor’s Cup and ran 4th again arriving on the scene late. She’s up to 2000M for the first time today and it may suit. The one to beat.
15. BLUE FLAG – Sister to President’s Cup and Grand Prix Stakes winner Gyeongbudaero, she was a class 3 winner at 1800M in August before making two trips to Seoul and running 4th n the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup but having a hard time in the Jeju Governor’s. She’s the only entrant from Busan’s top stable but she won’t be among the favourites.
Verdict: (14) ICE MARINE has come close to making a big win and today could finally be her day. Once more, she may need some luck in running but the distance may suit her, and she has every chance here. Ttukseom Cup winner (8) CHEONGSU YEOGEOL looks set to win this series and while she hasn’t raced since running 2nd in the KNN Cup in August, she could run out a winner again here. (6) BLACK SAPPHIRE’s recent form is solid while (4) SKY BAY has plenty of potential, should be on pace early and may go close. (12) SEOURI BYEOL is sure to be well backed and will be involved in the finish. (9) GOLD BLUE could be an interesting outsider.
|Selections||(14) Ice Marine (8) Cheongsu Yeogeol (6) Black Sapphire (4) Sky Bay|
|Next Best||9, 12, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 15|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
A small but competitive field to finish with on the South Coast. A winner of five from ten so far, (1) CHODONG SKY beat three of these on his way to victory at class and distance on October 14th. He carries an additional 3.5kg today but has enough talent to suggest he’ll be a strong contender again. Among the ones he beat that day, (4) CHOEGANG FORCE ONE came home 3rd and looks to have the best chance of overturning the form here – he was a strong class and distance winner in September. A greater danger though may be (3) DYNAMIC STAR. He enters having had nine weeks off after running 3rd in a really good race over 1400M in early September. It’s his first time back at this trip since running 2nd (a well-beaten 2nd) to Ace Korea in May. He’s top rated for a reason. (2) JIGUKCHEONWANG and (7) BUGYEONG DAEBAK, the latter up in class and returning from five months off but looking very good in a recent trial, are others to look out for.
|Selections||(3) Dynamic Star (1) Chodong Sky (4) Choegang Force One (7) Bugyeong Daebak|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7|