Korea: Busan Racecourse – Friday October 12, 2018
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) HOPEFUL SIMON came up short when favourite over 1300M two weeks ago, leading early but weakening for 4th. Today he drops back to a distance at which he beat a few of these on his way to 3rd place at month ago and he is favoured to make the breakthrough. (11) DREAM CAT and (9) HARVEST GOLD finished 4th and 5th behind Hopeful Simon in that September 7th race and both look like being top rivals here. (4) WONDERFUL WINGS was an improved 4th on her latest start four weeks ago and can continue to make progress today. (6) SUNDAY GLORY was a touch disappointing on his second career start two weeks ago. It was three months after going well on debut and he is worth another chance here.
|Selections||(3) Hopeful Simon (11) Dream Cat (6) Sunday Glory (9) Harvest Gold|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 10, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juveniles only here and four of the eight have raced before. Among them, (8) K PLUS WON is set to be favourite. He was 4th on debut in August and followed it up with 2nd place, just beaten half a length, on his return four weeks ago. He should have too much here. (6) MIGHTY POWER has a 2nd and a 3rd place from her own two outings to date. She was beaten three-lengths by K Plus Won last month but she is expected to be the main danger here and it’s possible she could overturn the form. Of the debut-makers, (1) CHODONG RUSH and (2) DAEHEUNG SIDAE both trialled up well and have to potential to make a positive start here.
|Selections||(8) K Plus Won (6) Mighty Power (1) Chodong Rush (2) Daeheung Sidae|
|Next Best||3, 5|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens with four of the nine having raced before. (1) DAEJI CHAMP debuted inauspiciously in July but returned last month to run a much-improved 2nd, beaten by the well thought-of Glitter. He should be on the early pace here and it would be a surprise were he to be beaten. (5) JANGSAN JOY didn’t do much wrong when 6th on debut at this distance at the end of August and looks bound to improve here, while (9) B.K. GAMBOL steps up in trip for the first time having run a good 3rd over 1000M last month and it may suit. Of the first-timers, (7) WONDERFU EI won his trial but (2) REVERSE SWEEP was perhaps the more impressive, running through the line in a fast time and this looks an ideal debut-spot for him.
|Selections||(1) Daeji Champ (2) Reverse Sweep (5) Jangsan Joy (9) B.K. Gambol|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 9|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) GIRL CRUSH debuted all the way back in May 2017 and wasn’t heard from again until July of this year. She’s run well in two starts back, finishing 3rd in both, beating a couple of these along the way and she looks set to get her maiden win today. (6) TOJONG CHAMP looks to be figuring things out with a 2nd and 3rd from her latest two, both at this distance and last time beating three she faces again here. She should get close. (12) HUNTER PARK ran 3rd at 1000M at the end of August. He’s already gone well at this distance in the past and has claims today. (4) P.K. NINE and (11) INTERCEPTOR look best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Girl Crush (6) Tojong Champ (12) Hunter Park (4) P.K. Nine|
|Next Best||11, 7|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Tricky contest here with plenty in the hunt. (3) MACH RANGER ran 2nd in a in a good race at class and distance on September 16th, beating three of these in the process. He’s not the fastest of starters so may need some luck but if he gets a clear run, he can go very close here. Bart Rice’s (8) FELICE remains a maiden after nine attempts but has three runner-up finishes to his name and was a good 3rd at this distance last month. Today could be his day. (1) COMING AGAIN returned from almost a year out last month and ran creditably with improvement expected today. (5) EOMBEULLANG was a winner on debut in July and while she hasn’t found it easy in two subsequent outings, she drops to the minimum trip for the first time today and can improve. (2) DANCING BLAZE, a much-improved 2nd last start, is another to keep an eye on.
|Selections||(8) Felice (3) Mach Ranger (1) Coming Again (5) Eombeullang|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 11|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
All of these are juveniles, all are imported, and all are making their racecourse debuts here. Likely favourite is (1) CURLIN TIME, who won his trial in decent fashion a month ago looking very competent in the process. (2) YEONGWON JAMAICA came home in 2nd place in the same heat just a neck back and will have plenty of supporters first-up too. Three of the others also won their respective trials. They are (4) PRO CONSUL, (7) OCALA TEUKGEUP and (9) FIRST CHANGER. Of those, First Changer looked the most impressive, coming home four-lengths ahead of the next horse and in a fast time. Meanwhile, Ocala Teukgeup is from Kim Young Kwan’s stable and is bound to attract support.
|Selections||(1) Curlin Time (9) First Changer (7) Ocala Teukgeup (2) Yeongwon Jamaica|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 9|
Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) QUEEN’S FANTASY is up in class after running out a three-length winner over 1000M on her third career start on August 31st. She’d finished 4th in both preceding outings, including one at this distance and she looks a potential winner again. Also up in class off the back of a maiden win is (1) URANUS J. He was a battling winner over 1000M four weeks ago on his second start and is up in trip for the first time here. He can go well. (10) ROYAL CLUB beat three of these on her way to 3rd place over 1200M at this class on September 14th. She remains a maiden but that made it two consecutive races where she’s been within a length of the winner and she should be close again today. (2) BAENGNYEON DAERO and (5) FLASHY MISS are others who should be in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Queen’s Fantasy (10) Royal Club (1) Uranus J (5) Flashy Miss|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) BOBAE DREAM was promoted to this level with two runner-up finishes in her first two starts. She ran a good 4th in a very tight race over 1200M last time out and looks nicely in to get her maiden win today. Also a maiden is (9) GANGHAN JILJU but he looks to be finally coming into form and was a very good 3rd at class and distance last time and he should be considered here. (10) GIJEOGUIMYEONGSEONG and (11) BRIAN PARK both had a hard time on their respective first tries at this class, but both have scope to improve today. Similarly, (2) BLACK ARROW hasn’t impressed in either of his latest two but is a winner at this distance and is perhaps worth another chance here.
|Selections||(1) Bobae Dream (9) Ganghan Jilju (2) Black Arrow (11) Brian Park|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||6, 12|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) CHEONNYEONDONGAN was 3rd in a decent class and distance contest last start on August 26th and returns from seven weeks off as favourite to finish on top here. From the inside gate, he should be able to get on speed early and potentially lead all the way. (6) BIJANGUI MUGI is two starts into a comeback following a lengthy absence and has shown progression over them. He started his career very well and in his 4th of 8 last time out, looked as though he is ready to recapture some of his previous form. The experienced (7) GO JJANG enters with recent form reading well and while a win looks a tough ask, finishing in the money should be the target. (2) THUNDER DOME and (10) SINBIHAN JILU are both returning from layoffs and trialled up together in September with both looking sharp and they are likely to be in the hunt for places here.
|Selections||(1) Cheonnyeondongan (6) Bijangui Mugi (2) Thunder Dome (7) Go Jjang|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A winner of two of his latest three including a narrow class and distance score last time out on September 7th, (6) CHOEGANG THUNDER looks to still have potential for development and while he carries an additional 3kg today, is very much the one they need to beat. (8) GREAT ROCK was 3rd behind Choegang Thunder in that race a month ago on what was his first try racing around two turns and he’ll be a danger once more. (2) CORE BLADE returned from six months off to run a solid 3rd over 1400M on September 9th. He’s a winner of three from seven total and tries this distance for the first time under a favourable weight. (3) OCEAN LINE and (9) KING SIMON are others who take into consideration.
|Selections||(6) Choegang Thunder (8) Great Rock (2) Core Blade (3) Ocean Line|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||8, 9|
Race 11: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) SARANG MISO ran a close 2nd in a fast race at class and distance on a muddy track just two weeks ago. 2nd has been her specialty as she has been runner-up on no fewer than five of her eight starts to date, but she has the ability to go one better here. (9) SAKISAKI is up in class having won her latest two at this distance and at a mile. She’ll need to improve again but a repeat is certainly possible. (6) CHARYONG has won at this class over 1200M and enters off a good 4th at 1400M last month. He’ll be on contention as will (10) I AM YOUR KING, who is starting to show glimpses of ability. There is one debut-maker. Henny Hughes colt (2) HENNESSY PRIME has looked good in two trials to date and makes for an interesting wildcard here.
|Selections||(5) Sarang Miso (9) Sakisaki (6) Charyong (2) Hennessy Prime|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 6|