International
VIEW ARCHIVES (14361 articles)

<< Back
Big freeze threatens to disrupt Festival preparations
17 Jan 2013 | Racingpost.com 

The big freeze looks set to disrupt one of the key stages of the jumps season with Cheltenham preparations for some of the sport's biggest stars facing turmoil less than eight weeks before the start of the Festival.

An Atlantic weather system bringing snow to vast parts of Britain is forecast for Friday with the weekend's prize meetings at Ascot and Haydock under threat of abandonment.

Ascot is scheduled to host the Grade 1 Victor Chandler Chase, featuring Sportingbet Queen Mother Champion Chase favourite Sprinter Sacre, on Saturday but a Met Office spokeswoman said on Wednesday that the course could expect in the region of 2-5cm of snow on Friday coupled with freezing overnight temperatures.

Clerk of the course Chris Stickels said: "We've got the covers down and are raceable at the moment. There's a high risk of snow on Friday, which would cause more problems, and the meeting has to be considered to be under threat in light of the forecast."

Cheltenham contenders Peddlers Cross, Bold Sir Brian and Katenko are among the runner pencilled in for Haydock's fixture on Saturday although the prospects of racing going ahead appear slim.

There is an 8.30am inspection at the course on Thursday and contingency plans have already been discussed by the BHA over the possibility of restaging races should the meeting fall to the weather.

Clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright said: "The forecast is for a hard frost overnight and we may well know our fate tomorrow. If the frost is as hard as forecast we're likely to abandon, if not and there is any hope we'll call a further inspection, which is the best outcome we can hope for."

Optimism for Saturday is higher at Taunton where Hunt Ball is due to run in the 2m3f handicap chase on the track's most valuable raceday in its 85-year history.

Head groundsman Keith Councill said: "There's been no talk of an inspection at this stage and it is the snow that is the biggest threat to us."

Thursday's cards at Ludlow and Market Rasen are already abandoned but Wincanton hopes to keep the show on the road by passing an 8.30am inspection.

"We're fine under the fleece at the moment, but with the temperature of -4C overnight we've decided to inspect in the morning," said clerk of the course Barry Johnson.

Friday's fixtures at Musselburgh and Chepstow also hinge on inspections at 8.30am and midday respectively, while Towcester will have called a 9am check today for Sunday's meeting.


 

 
»Reve De Sivola lands thrilling third Long Walk Hurdle

»Bayan bags Ladbroke's cash but Condon hit with huge ban

»The Tullow Tank bang on target for Leopardstown

»Silviniaco Conti heads King George field of ten

»Grendisar aimed at top All Weather races after Lingfield Park success

»Baltic Knight has stamina to prove at Lingfield Park on Saturday

»Top class double-header from Ascot and Haydock

»Ptit Zig too good as Josses Hill struggles on chase debut

»L'Ami Serge coasts to eyecatching victory

»BHA announces zero-tolerance policy delayed

»NZ jockey Lisa Cropp given three year drug ban

»Arkle fancy Un De Sceaux against 15 at Fairyhouse

»Rafeej, Surfer and Cooptado boast Dubai World Cup Carnival hopes

»Record annual turnover at Tattersalls in 2014

»BHA confirms start date of new Chief Executive

Share/Bookmark

©Copyright 2006 - 2014 Thoroughbred News.
All rights reserved
Development and Design by Web Element