Industry
VIEW ARCHIVES (13183 articles)

<< Back
VRC not consulted on Cup penalty change
13 Sep 2017 | By Luke Sheehan - racing.com 
VRC Chairman Amanda Elliott has slammed a lack of consultation from Racing Victoria regarding the change to the handicap rules regarding the Emirates Melbourne Cup.

On Tuesday, RV Executive General Manager - Racing, Greg Carpenter, revealed that any horse allocated 56kg or above in the Melbourne Cup would not be penalised for victory in the BMW Caulfield Cup, as they endeavour to help link the two Cups handicaps more closely.

But Elliott claimed no-one at the VRC was informed the change would be definite, indicating VRC Racing Manager Martin Talty had only been alerted to potential changes.

Elliott also claimed RV Chairman Mike Hirst had not been aware of the incoming change, until Carpenter's announcement on Tuesday.

"I heard it for the first time in the public announcement yesterday," Elliott told RSN 927's Racing Pulse on Wednesday.

"That was very, very disappointing.

"Change that makes sense obviously we're all about, but not being part of the process for the most important race in Australia - which is our race - seemed extraordinary.

"We were very disappointed."

Elliott added: "Well for heaven's sake, it's the Melbourne Cup. It's the biggest show in town. It's not some maiden at Woop Woop.

"This needs terrific thought, and Greg has said he's gone back 40 years, and done an extensive review of the linkage between the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup. Wiser heads than mine will be able to tell you that the Melbourne Cup has changed dramatically over the last 10 years.

"The Melbourne Cup, since the internationalisation, has not gone backwards - it has become an unbelievably good international race. Whatever the bona fides of changes to the penalties linking the two races, I'm not sure is in the best interests of the Melbourne Cup, and as chairman of the VRC, that is my main concern."

Elliott said Talty had discussed the idea with Carpenter, but from the VRC's viewpoint, nothing was set in stone before the announcement.

"Martin told me there had been a conversation with Greg at the normal racing managers' catch-up the week before, where it had been suggested there might be some change," she said.

"Which Martin didn't bother to follow up, because he didn't think there was going to be anything to it.

"Someone else on the board, Michael Ramsden, sent an email to Martin saying, 'What's going on? I've just heard from Racing.com that Greg Carpenter has hinted there's going to be some change to Caulfield Cup non-penalties going into the Melbourne Cup [before Tuesday's official announcement]'.
"Martin wrote back 'that something like that was suggested, but certainly no decision had been taken. I wasn't part of the process, and I haven't been part of any announcement'.

"When the announcement was framed, we weren't even asked to check it and we were represented in the announcement as being more than happy.

"After extensive review and extensive consultation, we've been part of the process, and as chairman of the VRC, I was very shocked to hear the public announcement yesterday."



Flemington, picture ThoroughbredNEWS







 
»NZB Ready to Run Sale at Karaka Day one

»Canterbury stewards' report

»Mark Hughes Foundation to received Everest cheque at Rosehill

»Places for Racing NSW Stipendiary Stewards Traineeships'

»Moonee Valley redevelopment to commence

»NZB Ready to Run Sale on today

»Former RV chairman David Moodie denied justice by integrity commissioner over leak

»Breeding industry loses prolific Pentire

»Timeform Recap - 2017 Zipping Classic

»RV stewards' update on Osborne strangles ban

»Racing Victoria build funds for future growth

»NZB Ready to Run Sale commences Wednesday

»Sandown stewards' report

»Rosehill stewards' report

»Rest of the Doomben meeting postponed due to the state of the track

»Tabcorp Tatts merger cleared to proceed

»Racing Victoria appeal on cobalt charges upheld

»Victories shake up pedigrees at NZB Ready to Run

Share/Bookmark

©Copyright 2006 - 2017 Thoroughbred News.
All rights reserved
Development and Design by Web Element