Korea: Seoul Racecourse – Sunday October 14, 2018-10-11
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) EIFFEL was 3rd on debut four weeks ago and showed enough to suggest that with a little improvement he’ll be winning sooner rather than later. He’s well drawn to be on the early pace here and today can be his day. (3) SOKBO ONGJU was a slightly below par 6th in the same race but has a recent 2nd place to her name and can get closer today. (9) GOD OF SOCKS steps back to the minimum distance for the first time since running 2nd on debut in July and should be a danger, also from the front. (8) ANGELA was an improved 2nd last time albeit in weaker company than this while (2) CHEONGDAM QUEENS returns from six months out and trialed up positively at the end of September.
|Selections||(7) Eiffel (9) God Of Socks (3) Sokbo Ongju (2) Cheongdam Queens|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
It’s maiden juvenile fillies here with four of the ten runners racing for the first time. The only one in the field to have raced twice is set to be favourite though. (8) BLACK ZAPPER was an improved 2nd when stepped up to this distance for the first time on September 1st and should have too much for this lot today. (6) HEUNG BUJA had excuses for her 9th place on debut last month but she previously won a trial and the distance today should be a better fit so improvement is expected. (1) DADDY GLORY too raced quite greenly on her debut back in August but seemed to be going in the right direction in a subsequent trial. (7) YAHO M J CAT is another of the experienced ones who can be a danger. OF the first-time starters, (3) WONDERFUL MARIA looks the pick.
|Selections||(8) Black Zapper (6) Heung Buja (7) Yaho M J Cat (3) Wonderful Maria|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
This isn’t a particularly strong maiden but plenty come in with recent form reading well. (2) SUNSHIN MARINE hasn’t done much wrong in three efforts to date and was a useful 4th in a better race than this – albeit nine-lengths behind the winner – last time. She looks to have solid claims today. (3) DAEMYEONG SOLAR raced rather ungenerously in the home straight last start nut still managed to finish 3rd at the distance in a similar strength race to this and must be taken seriously while (9) CHEONGDAM JEPAE returned from five months off to run 2nd on September 16th. She’s the likely pace-setter here and can go one better. (5) STRIDE UP ran well enough for 4th on debut at 1000M and with some improvement in terms of manners, can get closer. (7) MIRACLE GOLD was a much improved 2nd last time out and can build on it today.
|Selections||(9) Cheongdam Jepae (2) Sunshin Marine (3) Daemyoung Solar (5) Stride Up|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 11|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) TRI THUNDER ran out a five-length winner on debut at the distance on September 8th. The Stay Thirsty gelding is up in class here but is well drawn to lead again and could make all once more. The main danger is (4) HANIL DALBIT. While his solitary win came at 1200M and he hasn’t raced at the minimum since his debut back in January, his recent form has been very solid and he’s a very interesting entry here. He could even start as favourite. (8) DIA PUNCH is up in class after scoring at the third time of asking last month. (9) POP STREET is too although he hasn’t raced since January. He did, however, trial up in good fashion last month. Of the pair, Dia Punch is more favoured at this time. (2) BLUE ANNA and (7) MONKEY SOCKS are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(6) Tri Thunder (4) Hanil Dalbit (8) Dia Punch (7) Monkey Socks|
|Next Best||2, 1, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 9|
Race 5: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) BURUI GORI has come close but over five starts to date has somehow managed to dodge the winner’s circle. That could well change here though as he looks very much the one to beat. He was 2nd on his first try at this distance last start, beating a couple of these in the process and should go one better today. (2) NANGMAN STAR was 4th in that same race on September 9th and while he has over six-lengths to make up on Burui Gori, he should beat plenty. (9) STRONG RUNNER and (10) FLYING JOY enter having run 2nd and 4th when they raced each other at class and distance on September 16th, the former having begun as favourite, and both should go close once more. (3) ARES THUNDER looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Burui Gori (10) Flying Joy (9) Strong Runner (2) Nangman Star|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 10|
Race 6: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
This is a tricky contest to call but the manner in which (6) WITH FRIENDSHIP won on what was his first crack at racing around two-turns pm September 16th suggest that despite being up in class today, he can win again. It won’t be easy though. (1) GEUMGANG CHEONHA beat a couple of these on her way to 2nd place class and distance on September 9th, just missing out on the win by a neck and the experienced mare can be a threat today. (5) CHEONHA JEWANG and (11) KYMA both enter with their respective form reading well at this distance and both may be considered. (7) ELITE QUEEN is another very experienced type who is more than capable of picking up prize money in this kind of company.
|Selections||(6) With Friendship (5) Cheonha Jewang (11) Kyma (1) Geumgang Cheonha|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 9|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) DAEGIL SANGJON raced twice as a juvenile, both times ineffectively and then didn’t appear again for a full ten months. When he finally did resurface in July of this year, he was gelded and he was good. He’s won two in a row and steps up in class and slightly in distance here with every chance of making it three in a row. He doesn’t need to lead but can sit just off the early speed and finish strongly. (3) GABO WONDERFUL was a creditable 3rd on debut six weeks ago. He’s up in trip today and it may suit. (6) INCITATUS drops back in distance after a reasonable effort at 1700M last month and is another who should be in the frame. (1) HEUNG JJANG and (9) CUPID DATE are others who could improve on their latest respective outings.
|Selections||(7) Daegil Sangjon (3) Gabo Wonderful (6) Incitatus (1) Heung Jjang|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8|
Race 8: Class 3 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) PENETRO and (1) GLOBAL BANK came home 1st and second in the HRI Trophy over 1400M on international weekend last month. It was a surprise considering they were respectively 9th and 7th in the betting market but it continued a promising run of form for both and it would be no surprise to see them competing for top honours once more. There was just over a length between them on the line that day but Global Bank led briefly a furlong out and the finishing positions could well be reversed today. (2) ARGO MELODY ran 3rd – a full twelve lengths behind the very promising Munhak Joy, who we’ll see later – and looks good for a place again while (3) GANGCHONUI BYEOL and (8) KING PLUCKY are others who could potentially upset the favoured two.
|Selections||(1) Global Bank (5) Penetro (2) Argo Melody (3) Gangchonui Byeol|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 7|
Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(10) BLUE WOLF starts for the first time since running 3rd behind Panorama Show and Munhak Joy over this distance on August 11th. She has been a touch inconsistent across her seven starts to date but on her day, looks potentially a big talent and she’s the pick to win this. (7) DORAON NALRI was just a nose back in 4th that day and should be a danger again although a bigger threat may come from (5) GOLDEN BLACK, who has underperformed in his latest two but is worse another changer here. (1) NAUI BICHYEO is up in class off the back of an eight-length maiden score over 1000M on August 25th. He’s up in distance too and while this may be a little too much too soon for the juvenile, he’s not without a chance. (8) SEUNGNI GIEOK, resuming after five months off and fast in a late-September trial, is the wildcard.
|Selections||(10) Blue Wolf (1) Naui Bichyeo (8) Seungni Gieok (5) Golden Black|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 9|
Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
(3) ROAD WINNER tackles class 1 for the first-time having won four of his six starts to date. He’s already seasoned at this distance though with back to back wins including the valuable JRA Trophy race on international weekend. He’s under a nice light weight here and looks set to enhance his burgeoning reputation. (8) SKY BAY is another up and comer. She stretches out in trip too so has a couple more question marks over her but there’s no doubting her ability. That’s similar for (7) WINNER GOLD, a good 3rd at this class last time and taking on two-turns for the first time. (2) GEUMA ZEUS is tried and tested at both coming in off a solid 4th place on September 1st. Then there is (4) SHAMROCKER. He returns to action for the first time since running 3rd behind Cheongdam Dokki and Clean Up Joy in the YTN Cup in May and at his best is capable of winning this. He is giving weight away though and looks up against it.
|Selections||(3) Road Winner (8) Sky Bay (4) Shamrocker (2) Geuma Zeus|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 8|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
A winner of three from four so far, (10) MUNHAK JOY was rapidly promoted to class 2 following a nine-length win over this distance on September 8th, bouncing back from a surprising first defeat the time before in excellent fashion. She looks to be going places and while this is a stiff test, she should come through it in fine order. (6) EAST PALOS steps back in trip after a few decent efforts around two turns. He’s never actually raced at this distance although he has won at both 1300M and 1700M and looks to be the main danger to the favourite. (9) BULMYEORUI JEWANG is another who steps up in class and can be competitive while (1) PENACOVA and (12) SOJUNGHAN SOMANG are others to look out for.
|Selections||(10) Munhak Joy (6) East Palos (9) Bulmyeorui Jewang (1) Penacova|
|Next Best||12, 2|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 10|