KOREA: Seoul Racecourse – Saturday January 19, 2019
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens to kick things off with precisely half the field having raced before. Of those experienced ones, two have shown ability. (11) DIA PARK has finished 3rd in both of two starts, having raced prominently each time while (9) RAON PATRICK was much improved when 5th on his second attempt in December. Both will be contenders here. Among the debut-makers, (1) BEST STAR looked very good in trials two weeks ago, making all to win his heat. An unfashionable jockey booing may put some off but if he brings that trial form to the races, he’ll probably win. (8) ROYAL GHOST and (10) SUHO also showed promise in trials and can go well first-up.
|Selections||(1) Best Star (9) Raon Patrick (11) Dia Park (8) Royal Ghost|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 11|
Race 2: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) CRAZY WIKI has been getting closer across five outings to date, running a very solid 4th on his latest outing on December 15th, He isn’t the quickest of starters, but if he can work his way into a good position from a nice draw, this could be his day. (1) TRIPLE KHAN is the main danger. He has a best of 3rd from three starts so far, all at this distance. He’s shown decent speed and if he gets to the front early, will be hard to get past. (5) HEUNGBOK DREAM already has a win to his name, scoring over 1200M last October. He hard a hard time in tricky company on re-appearance but this should suit nicely, and he can challenge Triple Khan for the early lead. There are a couple of debut-makers. (4) SOULY MAJESTIC showed a good turn of foot in trials and can be backed first-up.
|Selections||(2) Crazy Wiki (5) Heungbok Dream (1) Triple Khan (4) Souly Majestic|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
A full field of twelve maidens with just one debut-maker. But that’s the one we need to deal with first because (7) ACHIEVE put in one of the most eye-catching trials of last month, cruising home eleven-lengths ahead of the rest of his heat. Moon Se Young partners him for his debut today and with punters having let the former champion jockey win on a first-time starter at longs odds last week, he’s likely to be very well backed here. (5) WHITE FLOWER is probably the best of those with experience. She ran a good 2nd at this distance on November and was a useful 4th last time out. She comes in after seven weeks out and should go close. (6) MONEY SHARP has also not been too far away in recent starts and looks good for at least a place while (10) HAE WANG improved considerably on his latest outing and steps up in trip for the first time. (3) GWANGPOK JUHAENG is best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Achieve (5) White Flower (10) Hae Wang (6) Money Sharp|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 10|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies only here. (7) BLACK PARTY raced very keenly on debut in December which did her no favours at all, but she still finished in 5th place. She’s clearly got ability and with improved manners today, she can win. (3) SAENAE VICTORY improved last time out, registering a good 3rd place. She’s not the fastest of starters but can finish strongly. (5) REIGN races for the first time since a 2nd place back in November. That wasn’t the strongest of races, but it was at this distance and she can challenge for at least the places again. (1) IRON HEART has made progress across his three efforts to date and can continue here. (8) COMPLETE MOTION did nothing wrong when 4th on debut and is another in the money hunt.
|Selections||(7) Black Party (3) Saenae Victory (5) Reign (1) Iron Heart|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 11|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Four of these raced each other at this distance on December 16th. (9) A ONE HAMMER was favourite that day and led for much of the way around, just weakening in the final furlong and allowing two to come by. One of those was (7) CHA MARU, who finished 2nd, a length ahead. Both will be in contention here and we’ll go for A One Hammer to overturn that form. (4) KING N I ran 5th in that race and can aim to match or better that here but a stronger challenge may come from one who didn’t go that day. That’s (6) BINNANEUN RUBY, who enters off the back of a good 4th place finish in a stiff filly only contest at this distance a month ago. She’s still a maiden after fourteen starts but seems to be figuring things out. (2) FOR J.K looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(9) A One Hammer (6) Binnaneun Ruby (7) Cha Maru (4) King N I|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8|
Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Fillies and mares only. (3) DONGBANG JIJU took a couple of races to get to grips with this level but has a 4th and a 3rd from her latest two and steps up to two-turns for the first time with every chance it may suit. She’s likely to be on pace from the start and can go all the way. It’s a really competitive race though. (4) DAESEONG RUBY’s recent work has all been over 1000M so it’s a big step up for her today. Jockey booking is positive though and she will be backed. (7) CHEONGCHUN YEOLCHA and (8) SONGAM GONGJU both have experience at this distance, and both have performed well at it. That’s true too for (2) GEOBOOGI MANSE, who races for the first time since running 3rd over this distance in November and who is another one who should be considered here.
|Selections||(3) Dongbang Jiju (4) Daeseong Ruby (8) Songam Gongju (7) Cheongchun Yeolcha|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4|
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Strong race. (7) DAEGUN ILGAL stepped up to this distance on December 15th to record his second runner-up finish in four career starts. He ran on nicely behind a good winner and could well go one better today. (5) EMORY SOCKS was 3rd in that race, just half a length back and also finishing strongly. She’s carrying a very light weight here and can go close again. (6) GEUMSEOK DOLPA is likely to be a big danger. A winner over 1300M in November, he’s up to this trip for the first time and his running style suggests it will suit. (3) HANYANG GONGJU comes in following a 2nd and a 4th in her latest two, both at class and distance and she’ll be close again. (8) FINE HEART and (9) LONG HITTER others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(6) Geumseok Dolpa (7) Daegun Ilgal (3) Hanyang Gongju (5) Emory Socks|
|Next Best||8, 9, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 8|
Race 8: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) GYORYONG UNU hasn’t had the best of luck over his five starts to date but when he has been good, he has been very very good, and he made all to win by fourteen lengths at this distance on December 9th. He’s up in class today but if he gets a clean run, he should win again. There are a couple of good rivals here though. (3) ACE SOLONGO has won his latest two, both over 1300M and both by five-lengths and he will be a big danger as will the similarly in-form (12) MIREU STORM, who has won three in a row dating back to last August. It would be a surprise if the three of them don’t complete the trifecta but (1) GULCHARMNAMUSUP and (7) GEUMA THUNDER could slip into the placings as well.
|Selections||(10) Gyoryong Unu (3) Ace Solongo (12) Mireu Storm (1) Gulcharmnamusup|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 10, 12|
Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
After showing poor manners when 4th in November and then having a hard day at the office when drawn wide in tough company in December, this should be a much better day for (4) FIGHTING HERO. From gate 4 he should be on pace early and can go all the way. (10) THE FINAL closed out 2018 with a solid 4th place in a similar test to this on December 16th and should be looking to better that here. (8) RAON KEVIN is up in class having won comfortably over 1000M on December 2nd. That wasn’t a strong race, and this is his first time over 1300M, but he should cope. (3) MASYA, starting for the first time since running 3rd at class and distance in October, and (5) HANIL MAGIC, look best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Fighting Hero (10) The Final (8) Raon Kevin (3) Masya|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 11|
Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) BENEDICT enters off the back of a win and a 2nd place from his last two starts, with the runner-up finish coming at class and distance on December 23rd. He’s giving plenty of weight away here but is very much the one to beat. Main danger is (1) FIGHTING LANGFUHR, who remains a maiden but has shown plenty of ability and was 2nd in a very fast race over 1000M in November. He ran well for 5th on his first try at this distance last time and should be a big factor here. Speaking of factors, (9) KEY FACTOR is still seeking a maiden victory but managed his best finish to date when 3rd over this distance last month and can build on that today. (8) SUPER TRICK and (11) DONGBANG JIJON are others who could go close.
|Selections||(2) Benedict (1) Fighting Langfuhr (9) Key Factor (8) Super Trick|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 9|
Race 11: Class 3 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Fillies and mares only. (8) BEST YEJI beat (1) BLUE MA STAR by a length hen the pair finished 2nd and 4th over 1700M on December 23rd. Back down at 1300M today, that form is likely to be overturned and Blue Ma Star could well win. She’ll come from the back as will the two other main hopes here, (5) TO GO WIN and (7) LOVE IT. Both enter in solid recent form and despite both being maidens, it wouldn’t be a surprise if one of them was to shed that tag here. (11) WOMAN VOLT beat three of these on her way to 2nd place at class and distance on December 8th and should be in the placing hunt here. (6) GAON QUEEN ran poorly that day but can be given another chance.
|Selections||(1) Blue Ma Star (5) To Go Win (7) Love It (11) Woman Volt|
|Next Best||6, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9, 10|
Race 12: Class 2 (2000M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(11) LION ROCK ran well across three starts between September and December last year (despite being well back in the President’s Cup behind brother older Triple Nine. He ran 3rd in a good race over 1800M on December 1st and up at 2000M today, can return to the winner’s circle for the first time since last April. (2) JISANGMYEONGRYEONG and (8) WONDERFUL JACKPOT are both up in class having both registered back to back victories in their latest two outings. Both stretch out to 2000M for the first time as well with Wonderful Jackpot the one most likely to push the favourite close. (6) HWANGGEUM BISANG and (9) TIZ PLAN are two others who could cause an upset.
|Selections||(11) Lion Rock (8) Wonderful Jackpot (9) Tiz Plan (8) Jisangmyeongryeong|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 10|
Race 13: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) GUREUM WANGJA had a tough time when trying this class for the first time last month bringing to an end a four-race win streak. He got caught in kickback and lost plenty f ground late on. He’s better than that though and is worth another chance today. (2) PHILLANIKE and (12) GLOBAL NEWS came home 2nd and 3rd when they raced each other at class and distance at the beginning of December. The former came back out and ran creditably enough in a stiff race just before Christmas and both can go close today. (1) MONEY CAMP has proven competitive at this level and has solid placing chances while (4) RAON ROCKY is up in class after a good win last time and shouldn’t be out of his depth.
|Selections||(7) Gureum Wangja (2) Phillanike (1) Money Camp (12) Global News|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 10|