International

Back

Phillip Makin joins trainers' roster and confirms retirement from the saddle

Phillip Makin has revealed his excitement at becoming a Flat trainer after announcing his retirement from the saddle on Thursday. 

The 34-year-old, who was granted his licence last week and will be based at Well Close Farm in Easingwold, North Yorkshire, has not ridden since suffering a horror fall at Redcar in August, when he sustained fractures to his back, ribs and ankle.

"Becoming a trainer was always in the back of my mind as a rider, but I didn't quite expect it to happen this quickly," he said.

"The fall at Redcar was clearly a bad one and made it an easier decision, but I'm excited at the opportunity."

Makin has around 23 horses in his care and could saddle his first runner on Wednesday, with the ex-David Barron-trained Scuzeme having two entries at Southwell.

He said: "Scuzeme could run there, and we might look at having one next weekend at Doncaster's opening meeting.

"Of course it would be nice to get an early winner on the board, but we haven't set any long-term targets as such yet. We'll see how everything pans out and if it goes well we'll look to expand the operation – I wouldn't rule out having jumpers one day."

Looking back on the highlights of his career in the saddle, he said: "Riding my first Royal Ascot winner on Bapak Chinta for Kevin Ryan in the 2011 Norfolk Stakes was definitely right up there, that was a fantastic day. 

"Another moment which springs to mind was riding a four-timer on John Smith's day at York, that was brilliant."

Makin, who began his riding career in 2002, partnered 951 winners in Britain and, in addition to the Group 2 Norfolk, scored at that level on Blaine in the 2012 Gimcrack Stakes and Tullius in the 2015 Sky Bet York Stakes.

 

Share/Bookmark